Projectile painting vertex color

I have looked far and wide to find a way to do this. I thought I would ask here.

I have a gun that shoots a projectile. In one mode the projectile needs to change the vertex color for where it hits to white (red channel - in other words “1”). In the second mode it makes it black.

This drives an advanced layer material that uses the vertex color to have one texture of the other - and a blend in between.

Does anyone have any hints at all? I have a hit even that has an explosion that happens; so I am guessing I can use the hit event?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can, and is willing, to give some advice.

Hi, I was also searching for something similar & came across this article on dynamic vertex painting: Dynamic Mesh Painting in Unreal Engine 4 | raywenderlich.com. It’s using line trace, but it might be helpful in your case too. But if you already have your own material, then yes, you can use the projectile’s Event Hit, and use its “Other” & “Hit Location” parameters for painting at the projectile impact location.

Awesome! Thank you very much. I will give that a try and will post an update with my results.