I just tried to add a simple sphere collision+sphere object+projectile movement projectile in the Top Down project template.
- Create New Blueprint Class based on Actor
- Add Sphere collision component. Set Collision Preset to “Ignore Only Pawn”.
- Add Sphere object component. Set Collision Presets to “No Collision”.
- Add Projectile Movement. Set Initial Speed, Max Speed, Checked “Should Bounce” attribute.
- Wire Event Hit in Event Graph to just a Print String “Hit!” (I need it to add an explosion on hit, so this is just to make sure this event gets generated).
- Spawn projectile when shooting.
(I actually try to replicate the settings from the FPS Template).
Projectile is spawned and all but it just goes through every mesh like a ghost.
I had the “Default Root” component in my projectile. As soon as I made the Collision component root, it all started to work (bounces, hit event triggered, hurray!).
Now I spent an hour figuring it out (I know, I’m slow) only cause I remember there was something “fishy” with which component is root.
Can someone please explain why in this case it didn’t work as is (i.e. with this “Default Root” component I got when creating a new BP class)? In which case would I keep that “Default Root” in a BP?
Any references to some Unreal documentation would be great too!