Project Elementus - Custom TPS Template w/ Extra Features

Updated the project (Again xD) and created a simple example project for the new inventory system plugin:

Project Elementus v0.5.1a:

Full Changelog: Comparing v0.5.0a…v0.5.1a · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

Link

Updates

Inventory System

The Inventory System is still a work in progress but there’s some features already implemented, and a lot of adjustments were made in the entire project.

And also, the working branch is working well with Unreal Engine 5.1 Preview 1! : )

:white_check_mark: Working with the current UE5.1 Preview 1 ver.

Branch: lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus at feature/EQUIP-26 (github.com)

As the main work branch is currently using UE5.1 Preview 1, I created a new branch working with UE5.0 to not force the use of unreal engine 5.1 as it still contains some unstable stuff: lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus at feature/EQUIP-26-UE5_0 (github.com)

Do you have an overview on how Project Elements works with a Lyra-inspired workflow?

Sorry, I haven’t explored Lyra very well so I can’t really answer how it would work. :S

Project Elementus v0.6.0a1

What’s Changed

1. Inventory System working with Multiplayer
  2. New Task and Ability: Move Camera (Aim) & Shoot (w/ Pistol)
  3. Updated EOS SDK
  4. Weapon: Pistol Example
  5. SetByCaller support for Cost & Cooldown effects
  6. Reduced project size by removing unnecessary content
  7. More helper functions
  8. Moved the project to UE5.1

Full Changelog: Comparing v0.5.1a...v0.6.0a1 · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

Last release for UE5.0: Development Release - Project Elementus v0.6.0a - UE5.0 (github.com)

Project Elementus v0.6.1a

Release: Project Elementus v0.6.1a (github.com)

What’s Changed

• Adjustments to allow packaging
  • Level adjustments
  • Rendering adjustments
  • Small optimizations

Notes

What’s Changed

1. Inventory System working with Multiplayer
  2. New Task and Ability: Move Camera (Aim) & Shoot (w/ Pistol)
  3. Updated EOS SDK
  4. Weapon: Pistol Example
  5. SetByCaller support for Cost & Cooldown effects
  6. Reduced project size by removing unnecessary content
  7. More helper functions
  8. Moved the project to UE5.1

Your project seems to big for github by now. “This repository is over its data quota. Account responsible for LFS bandwidth should purchase more data packs to restore access.” See error below while cloning it.

$ git clone git@github.com:lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus.git
Cloning into ‘UEProject_Elementus’…
remote: Enumerating objects: 13860, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1066/1066), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (642/642), done.
remote: Total 13860 (delta 421), reused 948 (delta 381), pack-reused 12794
Receiving objects: 100% (13860/13860), 168.15 MiB | 12.52 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (4502/4502), done.
Updating files: 100% (616/616), done.
Downloading Content/Main/Blueprints/Actors/Interactable/BP_Door.uasset (154 KB)
Error downloading object: Content/Main/Blueprints/Actors/Interactable/BP_Door.uasset (d1f3798): Smudge error: Error downloading Content/Main/Blueprints/Actors/Interactable/BP_Door.uasset (d1f3798909ea6d43c199f227d62d40950b0506224f3e544a29a89f9b41c6a799): batch response: This repository is over its data quota. Account responsible for LFS bandwidth should purchase more data packs to restore access.

Errors logged to ‘C:\GameDev\UEProject_Elementus.git\lfs\logs\20221105T122141.8549583.log’.
Use git lfs logs last to view the log.
error: external filter ‘git-lfs filter-process’ failed
fatal: Content/Main/Blueprints/Actors/Interactable/BP_Door.uasset: smudge filter lfs failed
warning: Clone succeeded, but checkout failed.
You can inspect what was checked out with ‘git status’
and retry with ‘git restore --source=HEAD :/’

1 Like

Better choice is gitlab to unreal engine, because has more space to free accounts 5gb

To use github needs pay or get some pro account.

1 Like

Oops. In the last few days, I was talking to GitHub support to reduce the consumed LFS storage quota (because the project was consuming way more than necessary and they only provide 1gb of Git LFS quota for free), in the process I forgot to buy 1 additional data pack. xD

Now, the project is currently consuming only 183 MB and there is bandwidth quota available, the problem must have been fixed!

You can now clone the project and use the command to initialize the plugins that are added as submodules:

git submodule update --init --recursive

Thanks for responding that fast. Build with ue5.1 source, works great. Thanks! That said, here is some constructive criticism. I am not a fan of enumeration to set abilities. Valley of the Ancient Tech Showcase had a great way to add abilities to an actor with input mapping and input actions. A pretty good explanation: [UE5] Episode 08 - Modular Gameplay Features (Abilities) | Gameplay Ability System Basics - YouTube . His github project is in the description below his video. All credit to: Leonard Parisi Keep up the good work! I hope the little github injection also helps :wink:

1 Like

That looks great!

I’m currently using a plugin I created during Unreal 5’s Early Access (UEModularFeatures_ExtraActions), but unfortunately, I haven’t added any relevant updates until then. I’ll start working more on this plugin and apply some similar things to improve usability, including the choice to use or not enums. : )

Started working on Modular Features - Extra Actions update by adding new options to manage ability bindings and also created a new settings page.

Still a work in progress, but has an open progress in these branches:

1. Project Elementus: v0.6.2a (github.com)
  2. Plugin Repository: v1.2.0 (github.com)

Seems like the plugins are going to get more love from epic themself. We should tell them we love the modular gamefeatures and gameplay!

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/869-gameplay-framework-updates

1 Like

Project Elementus v0.6.2a

Release: Project Elementus v0.6.2a (github.com)
Repository: UEProject_Elementus (github.com)

Features

• Fix submodules (lost on LFS reset) by @lucoiso in #32
  • Update Modular Features Extra Actions and adapt the project
  • Optimize includes
  • Adjust settings

Known issue

• Packaged game is currently not working. The executable freezes with a black screen and the last log call is:
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:268][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source.OneShot v1.0]
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:271][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source v1.1]
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:271][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.OutputFormat.Stereo v1.0]

I’m still investigating the problem, but maybe it’s an instability in UE 5.1 Preview related to MetaSounds. :confounded:

Modular Features Extra Actions v1.2.0

Content:

Modular Features Extra Actions v1.2.0

Release: lucoiso/UEModularFeatures_ExtraActions
Marketplace: Modular Features - Extra Actions

Features:

• New settings page
  • Fix issue: Bindings not working on pawns
  • Move shared options to plugin settings
  • Add new option: Override binding owner
  • Add new ability binding options
  • […]

New Settings Page

Updated Example Project

Repository: lucoiso/MFA_ExampleProject

Project Elementus Updated

Repository: lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus

Project Elementus v0.6.3a

Release: Project Elementus v0.6.3a Latest (github.com)

Pull request: v0.6.3a by @lucoiso in v0.6.3a by lucoiso · Pull Request #36 · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

What’s Changed

Known issue

• Packaged game is currently not working. The executable freezes with a black screen and the last log call is:
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:268][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source.OneShot v1.0]
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:271][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source v1.1]
[2022.10.30-19.04.21:271][  0]LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.OutputFormat.Stereo v1.0]

I’m still investigating the problem, but maybe it’s an instability in UE 5.1 Preview related to MetaSounds.

Full Changelog: Comparing v0.6.2a...v0.6.3a · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

Project Elementus v0.6.4a

Release: Project Elementus v0.6.4a
Pull request: v0.6.4a by lucoiso · Pull Request #37 · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

Changes

• UE5.1 Adjustments
  • Set elevator final platform as game object
  • Fix explosive actor compiling on shipping builds
  • Include metasounds directories to register
  • Remove unnecessary configs
  • Set Bink Audio as default audio compressor

Known issue

• Packaged game is currently not working. The executable freezes with a black screen and the last log call are:

This problem is occurring since UE5.1 Preview 1. I’m still investigating and sent a bug report to Unreal Engine. :confounded:
Disabling MetaSounds and re-creating the sound sources to replace UMetaSoundSources will sadly fix this.

Project Elementus v0.6.5a

Release: Project Elementus v0.6.5a (github.com)
Pull request: v0.6.5a by lucoiso · Pull Request #38 · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

Changes

• Change WriteAchievements to IngestEOSStats, allowing multiple stats update at same time
  • Remove CPU access from Static Mesh
  • Change ability audio to reference an audio data structure
  • Move shared audio sources to game content
  • Remove metasounds requirement from modular plugins

Known issue

• Packaged game is currently not working. The executable freezes with a black screen and the last log call are:

This problem is occurring since UE5.1 Preview 1. I’m still investigating and sent a bug report to Unreal Engine. :confounded:
Disabling MetaSounds and re-creating the sound sources to replace UMetaSoundSources will sadly fix this.

1 Like

Some upcoming changes

They’re already in the development branch.

Pull request: #44

UMG ViewModel

New feature that came with UE5.1: UMG Viewmodel | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

The project’s HUD is already using ViewModels to update the attributes:

Note: Also created this conversion function: To Current/Max Text (Float).

Specific Project Settings

Moved and added some options to Project Settings:

MetaSound removal

Unfortunately MetaSound was causing problems. : (

The packaged game wasn’t initializing due to unregistered MetaSound’s interfaces. Maybe it’s an incompatibility when referencing metasound sources in objects that are inside a Modular Game Feature. : /

LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source.OneShot v1.0]
LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source v1.1]
LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.OutputFormat.Stereo v1.0]

Already sent a bug report to epic games.

Before merging these changes into the main branch, I’ll look for some new features that could be added to this project and will adjust existing items that can be improved in this project.

But you can always see how the things are going: UEProject_Elementus (github.com)

About the issue that was occurring with MetaSounds (removed from the project in the development branch):

When referencing a MetaSound source in a blueprint that is in a Modular Game Feature with default state set to Active, the packaged game doesn’t start. The game freezes with a black screen and the last log calls are:

LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source.OneShot v1.0]
LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.Source v1.1]
LogMetaSound: Error: Target interface is not registered [InterfaceVersion:UE.OutputFormat.Stereo v1.0]

I’ve sent a bug report to Epic’ team and they confirmed the issue. You can track the status here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-170838)

I was using MetaSound sources in some Gameplay Abilities to produce ability sound. The development branch is now using Sound Cues and have metasounds disabled to avoid this problem.

MetaSounds will be re-added to the project when Unreal’ team fix this. : )

Project Elementus v0.7.0a pre-release 1

Features

UMG ViewModel

New feature that came with UE5.1: UMG Viewmodel | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

The project’s HUD is already using ViewModels to update the attributes:

Note: Also created this conversion function: To Current/Max Text (Float).

Specific Project Settings

Moved and added some options to Project Settings:

MetaSound removal

Unfortunately MetaSound was causing problems. : (

The packaged game wasn’t initializing due to unregistered MetaSound’s interfaces. Maybe it’s an incompatibility when referencing metasound sources in objects that are inside a Modular Game Feature. : /

Already sent a bug report to epic games.

What’s Changed

• Add GAS Attribute ViewModels to HUD
  • Add Specific settings
  • Add Loading Screen
  • Remove MetaSounds
  • Adjust EOS functions
  • Optimize includes

Full Changelog: Comparing v0.6.5a...v0.7.0a · lucoiso/UEProject_Elementus · GitHub

1 Like