Project crashing randomly In shipping configuration, but not development or PIE

Hello, I’ve been getting this crash report at random for months now. Since it only seems to occur in shipping configuration, I can’t access logs for the crash, just a visual studio UE4Minidump.dmp file which I cannot make any sense of. Sometimes the game runs fine for hours, sometimes it can happen within the first 5 minutes. It happens both with and without administrator privileges. I have also tried updating the engine to 4.26, but the crash was still present, and landscapes seemed to “fracture” at a certain distance from the camera, so I reverted back to 4.24. I’ve been trying to isolate the cause for a long time now with no success, it’s quite frustrating. I’m very close to completing my project, so if someone can help me locate the cause of the crash, please help!

My project is blueprint only, and I have no experience in C++ at all.

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000

Project_Win64_Shipping!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() Project_Win64_Shipping!FTaskThreadAnyThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() Project_Win64_Shipping!FTaskThreadBase::Run() Project_Win64_Shipping!FRunnableThreadWin::Run()

I can’t upload the minidump file, invalid file type. I have noticed an occasional hitch in development config that doesn’t happen in shipping. In the log file I find the attached error. This error gets called randomly on all vehicle types, not just the station wagon, but this is rare. As far as I can tell, all vehicles spawn in just fine. Not sure if it is connected to the crash though…

link text

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading
address 0x00000000

That is a nullptr exception. This can quite easily happen when writing C++, but it is a significantly more difficult to mess this up in Blueprint. Since you don’t know C++: you have probably experienced the “Accessed None trying to read property …” error message in Blueprint. It is basically the same thing, but in Blueprint the engine does checks for you under the hood that protect you from a crash, giving you a nice error message instead. If you try to “Access None” by dereferencing a null pointer in C++ you get a crash. Now since you don’t do C++ it is kinda odd that you would get such an error, but Blueprint is not a perfect guardian and stuff like this can happen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but without going into C++ territory (attaching a debugger to your shipping build) it will be incredibly hard to track this down.

Your other error from the log is connected to something else and that ensure condition is disabled in shipping builds, that’s why you don’t get the error there. Judging from a code comment, the programmer who wrote it also wasn’t sure why that error can happen, but it is unlikely that this is connected to your crash.