Project Crashing On Startup

Too new to edit my reply to SKING about the root cause being null pointers / references, so:

Here I’m using what I believe is the best practice for inline null checks on my Movement component:

if(!ensure(Movement != nullptr)) return;

This is discussed in much better detail by the accepted answer here

Just fixed this issue when i was starting Epic Launcher, run as admin fixed it. Launcher opened and started downloading.

我也遇到过这个问题,我的UE4版本是4.17.2,打包后的程序在别的电脑运行报这个错,我在新电脑上安装DXSDK_Aug08.exe和狸窝视频解码器之后就可以运行了,不知道是解码器的问题还是环境的问题,没太深究,大家可以试试,希望能解决你们的问题。

I had this issue recently, I tried to delete my saved and intermediate folders which did not work.
I deleted UE4’s ini in the config folder of my project.
This allowed me to finally load my project.
After trying to load my map it would crash again pointing to an obvious error within the map.

Hi, I just had this exact problem - my project would just crash every single time I tried to launch it, and I’d get the exact same lines in the crash logs about missing .dll objects and so on.

It happened after my project crashed while working on some cloth physics assets. The only way I could get the project back online was to locate all the physics assets and the mesh assets they were associated with and remove them from the content directories.

If you’re having this issue after working with some physics assets - try removing them

Deleting the ‘saved’ and ‘intermediate’ folders did nothing.

Another way is, disable all unneccesary windows services. I used my asus optimiser project worked again.

Deleting the ini folders worked for me too. I’m not sure what caused the crashing but something went wrong for sure.

I got a same error and it drove me crazy for two days, I tried several ways to fix it, and it success! for now at least.
I am using Dell G7 18GB RAM with GTX 1060 6GB White Sapphire.
Got the error from 21 December 2018
fixed 23 December 2018
Here what I done to my Laptop…

1. quarantine the “saved” and “intermediate” folder from document/Unreal Projects/MyProject to somewhere (you decide).
  2. Download and install DirectX 9 SDK from (I do not own this website, or you can google it)
    DirectX 9 SDK Download Free for Windows 10, 7, 8 (64 bit / 32 bit)
  3. If you get the error code s1023 while installing the DirectX, read this
    S1023 error when you install the DirectX SDK - Application Developer | Microsoft Learn

Thanks to:

1. Penton
  2. zhang2951

Special Note:
Do not disable your Intel Graphic inside “Device Manager”, your computer display will just get worse or maybe blue screen.

Hi,Which version of UE4 do you use?

Most recently for me, this problem seemed to be caused by having Auto Reimport enabled on some content directories, which hadn’t saved their content properly before a crash.

I think, because the option for ‘Detect Changes on Startup’ in the Auto Reimport settings was enabled - every time I tried to reload the project the editor got confused, freaked out, and shut down every time.

The only way to get it to stay open was to find the offending content directory in Windows and move all it’s contents onto my desktop or somewhere else entirely away from the project folder. Then relaunch the editor.
If you’ve finally got the editor to stay open by doing this, you should then go into the Auto Reimport settings and delete the offending ‘Directories to Monitor’ array.
After that, you can bring the content back into your project from your desktop (or wherever you put it) and save everything properly.

The real issue I think is with the options in Auto Reimport for ‘Detect Changes On Startup,’ ‘Auto Delete Assets,’ and ‘Auto Create Assets’ which are all enabled by default.
Now, whenever I use Auto Reimport I disable all these options and I’ve not had a problem with it since.

The international language of communication is considered to be English. Please use it.

I fixed it.
I crashed my project by my C++ syntax mistake. I just open MYPROJECT.sln and rebuild after fix my syntax error.

my UE4 version is 4.19.

To my knowledge this fix is only for those running DirectX 12 in UE v4.24, possibly other versions though.

I recently ran into this issue, only it got weird. One night, I was working on my game, and it was normal in version 4.24 to crash every 8 - 15 minutes, but I could always open it back up. During that night, the crashes started making my computer black screen with strange white stretches across the screen before completely crashing my computer. I finished working on my project for the night, and went to bed.

The next day, I tried opening the project and it started acting in ways I find hard to explain. When I would right click, the right click menu appears as the top-left corner of the editor, rather than the normal buttons and options; this would actually replace most all popup menus. Hovering over anything began making the screen go black and flashing all of the tooltip menus for everything on screen in the top left corner. I could still click the buttons, even though the screen was black.

After this happening for about 30 seconds, the editor would crash with the log file saying:

• LogWindows: Failed to load ‘aqProf.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
  • LogWindows: File ‘aqProf.dll’ does not exist
  • LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
  • LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi.dll’ does not exist
  • LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
  • LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ does not exist
  • LogConsoleResponse: Display: Failed to find resolution value strings in scalability ini. Falling back to default.

And the crash window displayed the following (with more of each, I only listed one for space sake):

• nvwgf2umx
  • D3D12
  • dxgi
  • UE4Editor_D3D12RHI
  • UE4Editor_RHI
  • UE4Editor_Core
  • UE4Editor_RenderCore
  • UE4Editor_Core
  • kernel32
  • ntdll

Because I had no access to the window menu, content browser, or any other aspect of the editor at all, many options were impossible to try, and I couldn’t even migrate assets to a new project after all that work. From much digging online and my own research, I found a solution.

Go to the “Unreal Projects\YourGame\Config” folder and open the “DefaultEngine.ini” file. Inside of that file, find the “DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12” option and change it to “DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11”. Fixed my problems and it is letting me into the editor again!

what he said is : he has encountered the same issue, HIs engine version is 4.17.2, when he packaged the project . The packaged program successfully run after he installed the DXSDK_Aug08.exe and 狸窝视频解码器(a chinese software ) . in a new computer. He dont know the reason why it works but you guys can have a try .Hope it helps!

I face with the same issue, and I managed to slove this by reseting a SwarmAgent cahce. Double click by icon in system tray, and Menu Cache → Clean.