Project crashing due to "missing game files"

Attempted to rename my project and now everything I try to launch from VisualStudios in DebugGame mode I get the error:

Game files required to initialize the global shader library are missing from: A:/ProjectTallGrass/TestMultiplayer/Content/ Please make sure the game is installed correctly.

I didn’t delete any files… Anyone have a suggestion?

I made the same error just now.

You must set your project to DebugGame Editor.

1 Like

This looks like a bug. I use DebugGame setting to test the application without opening editor in between. Switching to DebugGame Editor is not a solution I think.

1 Like

As the other comment suggests, what worked for me was to use the “Editor” version and not the “” (empty) version of the run/compile command.

My understanding is that using the “[project name][]” build (as opposed to the “[project name][Editor]” one) requires cooked content, as documented on the “compiling project” page:

Build Configuration - Target

[empty]

This configuration builds a stand-alone executable version of your project, but requires cooked content specific to the platform. Please refer to our Packaging Projects Reference page to learn more about cooked content.

The Editor build target is the one that allows you to open and edit in Unreal Engine without cooked content (and the reason why it stopped working on my machine is that I probably switched the builds commands around mistakenly and didn’t realize it was the case…)

There are two situations you’ll likely see this error:

1. you are trying to launch the editor, but accidentally have DebugGame selected (instead of DebugGame Editor).

2. You are trying launch DebugGame (without editor) but you’ve yet to package your project. Essentially when you run DebugGame it will go and look for files in your binary folders (I think) to run your game. If you’ve not gone to File > Package project, you are likely not to have the required files. The package process creates these files. Be sure that you go into Package settings and select the appropriate target (for example, if you’re trying to launch Debug Game, then you should change it from the default of Shipping to Debug Game)

11 Likes

I am getting this error too and have tried above solutions but getting error yet
Could help me?

I am getting this error too and have tried above solutions but getting error yet
Could help me?

I am getting this error too and have tried the above solutions but getting error yet
Could help me?

open VS
Change to Development_Editor > Win64
then Debug

2 Likes

I just solved this. For me, it was having, in project settings, DirectX12 (Sm6, Experimental) checked in ue5 v 1.0.0. If you have it checked, it won’t currently package.

2 Likes

Worked for me as well, thanks a lot!

@TD10979 - thank you very much for this sollution :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s possible that the renaming of the project has caused Visual Studio to have trouble locating the correct game files. Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check your project’s configuration settings: Make sure that your project’s configuration settings in Visual Studio are correctly pointing to the new project location. To do this, open the Configuration Manager (from the Build menu) and make sure that the “Active solution configuration” and “Active solution platform” settings are correct for your new project.
  2. Clean and rebuild your solution: Sometimes Visual Studio can get confused when renaming projects, so try cleaning and rebuilding your solution to see if that resolves the issue. To do this, right-click on your solution in Solution Explorer and select “Clean Solution”. Then right-click on your solution again and select “Rebuild Solution”.
  3. Verify your game files: Double-check that the game files in the new project location are correct and complete. It’s possible that some files were accidentally deleted during the renaming process.
  4. Update your game’s shader files: The error message suggests that the global shader library is missing, which could indicate that the shader files have become corrupted or are outdated. Try deleting the shader cache files in the project’s saved directory, and then regenerate them by launching the game again.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to provide more information about your project setup and the steps you took to rename it in order to troubleshoot the issue further.

so how do i fix it