Project crashes on close UE 4.14.1

I created a new 3rd person C++ project, without any changes.
I start UE without even running the project, close UE and the editor crashes. This happens for the first time now after I updated to 4.14.1
I restarted my computer to be sure it has nothing to do with anyting in memory.

I enclose the call stack from the crash info window

Assertion failed: ToolkitHost.IsValid() [File:D:\Build\++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorModeManager.cpp] [Line: 109] 

UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:332]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::GetToolkitHost() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editormodemanager.cpp:110]
UE4Editor_PlacementMode!FPlacementMode::Enter() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\placementmode\private\placementmode.cpp:49]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::ActivateMode() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editormodemanager.cpp:386]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::ActivateMode() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editormodemanager.cpp:325]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorModeTools::DeactivateMode() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editormodemanager.cpp:288]
UE4Editor_WorldBrowser!SWorldDetails::~SWorldDetails() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\worldbrowser\private\sworlddetails.cpp:17]
UE4Editor_WorldBrowser!SWorldDetails::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockTab::~SDockTab()
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SDockTab::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_Slate!TArray<TSharedRef<SDockTab,0>,FDefaultAllocator>::~TArray<TSharedRef<SDockTab,0>,FDefaultAllocator>() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:553]
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockingTabWell::~SDockingTabWell()
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockingTabWell::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!TIndirectArray<SBoxPanel::FSlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_SlateCore!SBoxPanel::~SBoxPanel()
UE4Editor_Slate!SVerticalBox::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!TIndirectArray<SBoxPanel::FSlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_Slate!SHorizontalBox::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!TIndirectArray<SOverlay::FOverlaySlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_SlateCore!SOverlay::~SOverlay()
UE4Editor_Slate!SOverlay::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!FSimpleSlot::~FSimpleSlot()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!SCompoundWidget::~SCompoundWidget()
UE4Editor_Slate!SBorder::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockingTabStack::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!FSlotBase::~FSlotBase() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\private\slotbase.cpp:34]
UE4Editor_Slate!TIndirectArray<SSplitter::FSlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_Slate!SSplitter::~SSplitter()
UE4Editor_Slate!SSplitter::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!TIndirectArray<SOverlay::FOverlaySlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockingArea::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SVerticalBox::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_LevelEditor!SLevelEditor::`scalar deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_Slate!SBorder::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_Slate!SDockingTabStack::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!FSlotBase::~FSlotBase() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\private\slotbase.cpp:34]
UE4Editor_Slate!TIndirectArray<SSplitter::FSlot,FDefaultAllocator>::DestructAndFreeItems() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\indirectarray.h:439]
UE4Editor_Slate!SSplitter::~SSplitter()
UE4Editor_Slate!SSplitter::`vector deleting destructor'()
UE4Editor_SlateCore!TArray<FArrangedWidget,TInlineAllocator<16,FDefaultAllocator> >::~TArray<FArrangedWidget,TInlineAllocator<16,FDefaultAllocator> >() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\containers\array.h:553]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5085]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5462]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:5439]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1652]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:2071]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:814]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:678]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:951]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2811]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:152]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build\++ue4+release-4.14+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:264]

ntdll

Hello,

That’s quite an odd issue. Could you try verifying your engine installation to see if that may fix the issue? I’m assuming that this is a binary build downloaded from the Epic Games Launcher?

Yes I did a verification with no issues. I also did a reinstallation of the engine after I reported the bug but with no change, still crashing.
Yes it is the binary download from the installer application

When you mention that you “start UE without even running the project”, do you mean you’re just opening the Project Browser again? Does this happen with a 100% reproduction rate? Does it require creating a new C++ class every time? Does the crash only occur after you manually close the editor or can it just happen while using it?

It happens 100% of the time. I start the editor, create a new blank project, then close it immediately and it crashes every single time. I don’t do anything in the editor. This crash happens only when I close it manually.

The only information I can find on this assertion is about people getting it when trying to run the editor and/or a project on an external storage medium. What kind of drive is your D:\ drive? Also, as you’re the only person reporting this, it could be related to your particular setup. Could you provide your dxdiag information?

Unreal Engine is installed on drive C which is an SSD drive. Drive D is a 3TB HD.

What exactly does this assertion check? It started only after I updated to 14.1 I had no problems with 14.0

dxdiag.txt

Could you post all the into a pastbin and convert the answer into a comment?

From looking at the original log that you posted, your editor is installed on your D:\ drive. Are you sure that you’re launching correct editor process? Here’s an example of what I mean:

[File:D:\Build++UE4+Release-4.14+Compile\Sync\Engine\Source\Editor\UnrealEd\Private\EditorModeManager.cpp] [Line: 109]

Speaking of logs, could you provide the entire log file from the project itself? It can be found under the project’s directory under Saved/Logs

I had a Junction on drive D that pointed to my original C:\Program Files(86) directory where Unreal is installed like so

D:\UnrealEngine → C:\Program Files (x86)

I deleted that junction now and ran the test again. The result is the same.
I include the crashdump from the latest crash and the requested logfile from the same run here, so these are the latest crash outputs and there should be no reference to D. Why it was there in the first place, I don’t know perhaps I made that first test project on D.
This test project that produced the logs is in C:\tmp\junk\myproject and UE is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games

Yhe only junctions I have left is a link from launcher\vault to my HD since the vault with downloaded marketplace content can quickly overload my 500GB SSD
Furthermore I have linked my C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Users directories to drive D: with softlinks for the same reasons, but this should be transparent to any application since windows handles softlinks internally

link text

Thank you for explaining that. I’m currently looking into learning more about what this assert actually means as there isn’t much information about it from what I can find. The only thing I’ve seen when looking up information about it is something running into a similar error when trying to open a particular blueprint of theirs. Renaming the blueprint fixed their issue but even if renaming a file would help you, I wouldn’t know which file it is. Your issue also isn’t a content specific one so it isn’t likely related. I’ll let you know when I have more information.

Do you have any non-standard plugins enabled? Also, It seems that you have the World Browser open from looking at your logs. Can you try closing the World Browser prior to closing the editor to see if there could be some kind of correlation there?

Now you can beat me with a stick, but today, there isn’t any crash anymore.
I opened the test project and then closed all the open tabs, world editor, details tab and so on.
Then I closed the project and there was no crash.
Then I opened all the same tabs again and then closed the project and there was no crash either
I repeated it with other projects and the same results. Why all projects crashed before, they don’t crash anymore now.
The only explanation is that closing and reopening the tabs must have done something to change it because yesterday, before I turned off the computer, it was still crashing and today this was the only change I did.
So I have no idea what this problem was but now it is gone. I don’t know how this may help you but perhaps if somebody else reports something like this in the future, you can keep this case here as a reference.
If you want me to try out anything else, I’ll be waiting.

No worries, I’m just glad to see that the issue is resolved. Please let me know if you encounter this again. If you do, we can continue looking into it.