Project crashes after setting on overlap begin and end

Hi,

I get the following crash report after trying to set an on overlap begin/end on a sphere trigger in my character blueprint. And now my project crash on start, can you help?:

MachineId:A3FDB7E0478F67D251A4AC97EAE8D8F5
EpicAccountId:dfe0e21834e94e5abaddb2b57d261129

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second  not available)

Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Containers\Array.h] [Line: 679] 
Array index out of bounds: 0 from an array of size 0

KERNELBASE + 24684 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 292 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() + 248 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() + 1079 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
UE4Editor_Engine!UPrimitiveComponent::UpdateOverlaps() + 2919 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\primitivecomponent.cpp:2323]
UE4Editor_Engine!UPrimitiveComponent::OnComponentCollisionSettingsChanged() + 53 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\primitivecomponentphysics.cpp:897]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::SetActorEnableCollision() + 287 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:2781]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::execSetActorEnableCollision() + 116 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\classes\gameframework\actor.h:70]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UFunction::Invoke() + 180 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:3713]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() + 1112 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:395]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessContextOpcode() + 141 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:1451]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() + 1644 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:602]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::CallFunction() + 2707 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:516]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessInternal() + 1644 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:602]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UFunction::Invoke() + 180 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:3713]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ProcessEvent() + 3036 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\scriptcore.cpp:924]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::ProcessEvent() + 259 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:529]
UE4Editor_Engine!TMulticastScriptDelegate<FWeakObjectPtr>::ProcessMulticastDelegate<UObject>() + 440 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\public\uobject\scriptdelegates.h:393]
UE4Editor_Engine!FComponentBeginOverlapSignature_DelegateWrapper() + 317 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\classes\components\primitivecomponent.h:103]
UE4Editor_Engine!UPrimitiveComponent::BeginComponentOverlap() + 606 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\primitivecomponent.cpp:1999]
UE4Editor_Engine!UPrimitiveComponent::UpdateOverlaps() + 2768 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\primitivecomponent.cpp:2305]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::PostActorConstruction() + 443 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:2379]
UE4Editor_Engine!AActor::PostSpawnInitialize() + 680 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\actor.cpp:2318]
UE4Editor_Engine!UWorld::SpawnActor() + 2674 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\levelactor.cpp:336]
UE4Editor_Kismet!FBlueprintEditor::UpdatePreviewActor() + 577 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\kismet\private\blueprinteditor.cpp:7235]
UE4Editor_Kismet!FBlueprintEditor::Tick() + 67 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\kismet\private\blueprinteditor.cpp:6242]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FTickableEditorObject::TickObjects() + 164 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\public\tickableeditorobject.h:15]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() + 1635 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editor.cpp:1110]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() + 22 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:347]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() + 4179 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2257]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() + 1404 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() + 26 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() + 249 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
UE4Editor!__tmainCRTStartup() + 329 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]

From the brief description my guess is that it has to do with how you are using the collision detection. Specifically, some array is empty and is being accessed when there is nothing in it. Without your overlap code I cannot say much more.

Thanks for quick the reply, I found a backup file in the saved folder and replaced my character blueprint with it, so now the project does not crash anymore. But it is a bit scary sometimes, when a blueprint mistake sometimes causes the project not to function anymore. That being said, it was my error to not use version control on this project. After putting back the backup I setup a GIT repository, so this project is ok now.

Hey ,

I’m glad you’ve been able to resolve this situation by using a backup file from your backup project. GIT repository is a great way to insure that you’re not going to lose part of your project due to an error, since it’ll be backed up.

Also, it has been requested by our developers to see if you’re willing to upload a copy of your project that was crashing so that they can look into that further as well. If you’re willing to do this, please send me a private message on the forums with a link to the project location.

Thanks!

Hey MasterMindNL,

I wanted to let you know that the issue that caused your project to crash has since been corrected within the release of 4.9. If you notice this exact crash again after 4.9 has released, please reply back here and we will investigate the issue further.

Have a great day!

That is great news as I am having the exact same problem right now with an object. When it’s componentHit, no crash whatsoever, when it’s componentOverlap, crashes. That said, how long is 4.9 going to take to come out?

There is not an estimated time frame on when 4.9 will be released, it’s best to check in on the forums from time to time for additional updates about any hotfixes or new patches being released.

Have a great day!