Project crash

I need some help with my game. So recently I decided to package my game (one finished level and 9 more newly created) to disk D on my laptop, but after more than 5 hours the packaging process failed. I didn’t even see a folder on my D drive, but the C drive was almost full after the fail. I went to the project directory and saw a folder named ‘‘Game_Ready’’ with a ‘‘Windows’’ subfolder, containing the game .exe file. I deleted the contents of the ‘‘Game_Ready’’ folder and now when I open the project it crashes.
This is the error:
LoginId:2e581d464789bb85d79798afe1f55a24
EpicAccountId:0a58fbc9612c48e6acd711dd8a1aea9a

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\PipelineStateCache.cpp] [Line: 348] Shader compilation failures are Fatal.

UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

but there is no D:\build directory

Hey there @D3NIS4O! Seems like it couldn’t compile the shaders for the project. First back your project up, then delete these two folders and regenerate them by launching the project. This will force a shader rebuild when you launch and may take a moment. Does it still crash on startup?

So I did what yau said and i still got the error

LoginId:2e581d464789bb85d79798afe1f55a24
EpicAccountId:0a58fbc9612c48e6acd711dd8a1aea9a

Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\PipelineStateCache.cpp] [Line: 348] Shader compilation failures are Fatal.

UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32

Actually before the first crash, after deleting the contents of the "Game_Ready, "on the project loading screen it said “Compiling shaders” or something like that and there was some high number like 6000 and it was going down by 10 every several seconds like 5990, 5980, 5970…

It doesn’t work. Can you help me?

Ahh yes, that roughly 6000 count shader compilation is what’s supposed to occur, and it takes a while but once they are cached it’s much quicker to launch. It seems that it failed the shader compilation after the build being deleted, though why it triggered a shader rebuild is concerning.

So, first to get into the project we can bypass the DX12 shader rebuild and check and see if the DX11 original shader build works (this will get us information and get you into the project if it works, once we solve the issue using DX12 should be fine.)

Head over to Config/DefaultEngine.ini and change Line 25:

DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX12
to
DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11

and try to launch the editor first, then open the project isntead of opening the project directly from the uproject link. If the editor itself crashes before getting to project selection, we have to reinstall UE, if you can get into the project via this method, we will then save this functional copy, and clear the caches from inside the editor and try to launch again in DX12.

To clear the shader cache from in engine, go to Edit > Project Settings > Engine > Rendering > Shader Cache, and click “Clear Cache”.

To delete the cache, go to Edit > Project Settings > Engine > General Settings > Derived Data Cache, and click “Purge Cache”.

If these fail it’s likely an asset causing the shader compilation failures and this will get a bit more complicated.

THANK YOU!!!
So the game opened and there was a message saying i need to enable SM6 and also the graphics of some items were not as before, for example all glass things are glowing green coloured now. I activated SM6 and changed to dx12 from the project settings and now its working!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.