Programing in verse without the full unreal editor?

Is there anyway to start messing with verse outside of having to get UEFN? I am sadly away for the week when UEFN dropped and only have my work computer with me but I would love to start poking around with the language before I get back without having to get the whole package of fortnite and unreal on my work computer.

1 Like

You can logically start programming with it but you will not be able to test your code

Remote software like parsec + a good internet connection would do it. Remote into your home pc.

1 Like

When you start with Verse the Unreal Editor installs a VSCode extension which includes a Verse LSP server. Sadly that extension isn’t on the VS extension marketplace and is installed from a local file:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\Fortnite\VSCode\Verse.vsix
1 Like

Hi:

This is currently not possible. Verse relies on the Blueprints VM for now, which means inherently it’s tied to Unreal, and in this case, UEFN at the moment. The team is working on a new Verse-specific runtime and the intention is that Verse is a general-purpose programming language that can eventually be used within Unreal (and standalone altogether), but we’re not quite there yet.

The LSP is included, but that only performs parsing and semantic analysis, and doesn’t invoke the full compiler toolchain (e.g. no Blueprints bytecode is generated). You can play around with it to test-drive Verse code in general and get a feel of the syntax outside of UEFN, but it’s not really a substitute for a REPL or anything of the sort.

2 Likes

Just wondering what the progress of the standalone Verse runtime is?