Procedurally generated landscapes in Blueprint

This is making me pretty frustrated, since the only traces of this available in UE4 is in the marketplace. And I don’t want to buy anything, so I’m stuck.

The thing is, I can generate a mesh with a manually set arrays, but not make it random. I have no clue how to convert noise to vectors or the like. The only actual nodes that have anything to do with perlin noise is “Make Perlin Noise and Remap”, which only outputs 0. There’s no documentation available, though there are quite a lot for creating procedural landscapes in Unity. I can only assume that generating a mesh with noise is almost impossible in UE4. And as written previously, the marketplace has a few Landscape Generation actors available.

Could someone explain what’s happening? And should I just learn how to code in Unity instead because there are multiple tutorials on Landscape Generation on there.

If you can make the mesh from an array, you can defintely randomly populate the arrays. How do you make the mesh?

EDIT: Try this:

I made this simple graph:

and got:

1 Like

Alright, this Fast Noise Library really seems brilliant! Thanks for that. Now I just need to incorporate it into a procedural mesh so that it looks like landscape.

I have really noticed that procedural mesh generation is not my forté

I often wonder if there’s a way to affect a landscape using blueprints…then you’re there…

can you show a pic?

I managed to create some sort of generated landscape. However… I don’t know how far I can take it, since manipulating it is pretty difficult. For example blending the edges of two chunks with different noises to make multiple biomes, etc.

Looks great, would you mind noting your variable numbers and how your blueprint looked (e.g mesh part inside etc)

I don’t have the code anymore but it’s something like 100x100.

I thought the fast noise generator was free because I have it but I don’t know how to use it since I haven’t tried it yet. I guess I got it from the “Monthy Free” sections a while ago. Also, it would be really cool that after you solve the problem and make this procedural landscape generator great, try this new goal which is to add random actors that generate with the landscape. Such as trees or rocks. Think of it like when Minecraft generates random landscapes and adds structures in random locations like the villages or caves. Also how about the smoothness on the landscape?