Procedural Turn in Place with a single Control Rig node (WIP)

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share a small solution I’ve been developing to automatically generate Turn in Place motions for any angle, with automatic feet alignment (so there is no feet sliding at all, no matter the angle). This is a quick example of how it looks like:

It works with any animation (I tested with a lot of custom idle animations from myself, Kubold, and other Marketplace sellers) and will automatically define N number of steps (but it’s always 2 or 3) required to rotate without colliding with other feet and minimizing unnatural poses.

So far the user can define step height, duration, timing, min/max angles, etc. The implementation consists on a single Control Rig node + an Actor Component. So far performance impact seems non existent.

To be honest it saved me countless hours trying to get standard Turn in Place solutions to work. Most work at fixed angles, have some feet sliding, or just use Root Motion.

I’ve been thinking about selling this as a marketplace asset – Is this something that interests you? If so, are there any other features you might want to include?

Thank you all

Updated video showing several skeletal meshes (UE4 Mannequin, UE5 Quinn & Manny) with several animations (Bow Aiming, Crouching, etc.) and different character sizes.

Will submit to the marketplace tomorrow. Thanks!

4 Likes

I think this has good potential!

I would be interested in this. I’m very excited to use your character creator in an open world proto and this would make things look really nice with NPCs and myself since I would like dual camera.

Thank you both :slight_smile:

I just finished the design and will submit it to the marketplace tomorrow after some cleanup. I hope to have this live by the end of January.

New video: UE4/UE5 Procedural Turn in Place - YouTube

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Kind regards

1 Like

Interested, tell us link to the store !

Thank you! I just submitted it to the Marketplace and will await Epic’s comments. It usually takes some back and forth to get new products approved but I expect this to be live in a couple weeks :slight_smile:

It is now available at the marketplace: Procedural Turn in Place System in Blueprints - UE Marketplace

Full features & Integration video:

1 Like

well done

1 Like

Thank you!

Now working on a UE5.0 version, as a lot of people have asked for backwards compatibility.