Procedural Nature Pack - Vol.1

How well does it support larger rivers?

Hi guys, Yes dynamic lighting and tessellation definitely play a big part in the framerate. The river by itself is not much of a hit at all and it also has scalable features. I’d imagine it should be perfect for what you’re looking for! As i mentioned there are plenty of features to disable as well as the ability to export any spline meshes you create so everything is static. It has huge potential in whatever scenario you’re looking for, high quality or high performance. Hope that helps!

@_cDub
It actually can be scaled in width at each spline point individually. So you can have some very wide parts of a river and some much thinner parts on the same spline. You can also customize the tiling of the Textures both vertically and horizontally on each spline. So if you need different tiling i would recommend making a small waterfall and then branching off from there and creating a new spline where you set the tiling differently. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

ah, so if I got it right, you crafted a whole procedural system that makes use of the spine system

I’m not sure how the SpeedTree stuff works, I want to say it’s also procedural, due to how you lengthen, bend and pose the trees to your liking

Yes that’s exactly right! It’s its own entirely new procedural system using splines that i came up with. I think there is actually a ton more potential to it and i think optimizations that could be had also. So i plan on updating this pack in the future as well as releasing a version 2 with an expansion of more art, more systems, and ideas, and updating any currently used tech here in both eventual packs

Any idea when this will be showing up in the marketplace?

Oh. Awesome.

Hi SaviorNT
I have submitted all of the files for this and hope that it might come out some time this month in July, but I don’t have an official release date from Epic yet. I will keep you updated as I know more :slight_smile:

would it be possible to do a sort of a grass system with this process? Let me try to explain…normally, grass is modeled in a patch and it moves together as a clump, but as grass gets longer, each strand should sort of move of it’s own. The grass models I see just look flat by itself and you have to copy and group the grass model patch a few times to make it look right.

I don’t know, just bothers me that grass still relies on billboard looking models

Hi Vata,

Sorry about this! I missed your comment and only just now saw it.

I believe I understand what you are asking, but I’m not sure which process you are talking about using to make the grass? Some sort of procedural system for it you mean? Currently all of the grass is being painted onto the terrain with the foliage tools that Unreal provides. The only way I can really imagine having pieces of grass move individually is by having each strand as its own separate model which would get expensive very quickly. Perhaps you could expand on your idea a bit more? Or your specific frustrations. Thanks!

I can give a close comparison, if that helps. Lets use Maya, Maya has a hair system which allows you to add these spines and it turns into hair

I understand, that would be cool and possible, but I just think it would be more expensive that it would be worth for the slightly better look you’d get. It could be cool for pre-rendered cinematics and such though

awesome stuff this is the future

or depends on the level design, it would work in an area that is designed to have tall field grass. I don’t know, it came to mind when I was looking into some foliage stuff and grass is the only thing that doesn’t seem to improve upon

nice work. Really original!

Regarding grass looking flat and billboards/planes for grass vs indivual strands:
From what IVknow you can get individual strands for < 100kB UE4 resource size, which is mass painting ready.
Over in the pricing discussion I posted a pic with such an asset. The grass is no single plane but individual strands (each one with alpha), which shows in the shadows and keeps it from looking single-plane-flat.

Perhaps if this is a strong concern of many, it’s something I should delve deeper into and find a good solution for when making grass in the future. Good grass can definitely go a long way.

Thanks for the compliments :slight_smile:
That’s good to know that it works and isn’t super costly on the rendering side! I’ll keep that in mind when working on my future packs, thanks.

What does vertex painted mean?

Is that just term for how the texture was made, or is it a texture that you can paint onto a terrain, rocks and trees?

Hey Vata,
It’s a general term for 3D work which implies that someone is painting the vertices of a model with certain colors inside of the engine or 3d software. It is used in animation, fx, characters, and environments.

For purposes of my Procedural Nature Pack, there is a vertex painting tool inside of UE4 that I used and setup to allow people to paint moss onto rocks. It’s essentially the same tool used to paint different materials onto different parts of the landscape. Here is a quick video of someone doing some vertex painting in Unreal. Hope that helps!
[video]https://youtu.be/p6O4AgSwTmQ?t=4m[/video]

saying just that makes it clear on what it is, but I’ll still watch the video when I can. It seems like a good tool, allows people to add their own moss, instead of needing to rely on…say a rock texture that’s already covered in moss

Haha ok cool, sorry if I over explained. Glad it helped! That’s exactly the idea, to allow people to make all of their own stuff look very unique. So no two people using this pack will have something that looks the same :slight_smile: