Procedural map Generation

Hello everyone !

I am getting desperate ! I am trying to make a Game with a procedural map (as in procedural terrain and all that ) . I need the map to be regenerated after each new game ( so no need for infinite terrain , just a new map on each new game ) . I thought this would be quite common but to my surprise i have been unable to find any decent tutorial to do that on unreal engine so :

i tried to adapt that tutorial to unreal engine as well as i could ( i am still quite new to the unreal engine and game development in general ) and managed to get some interesting results using the Procedural mesh , but it is SOOOO slow that i cannot beleve this is the correct awnser.

Right now i am trying this approach : UE4 - Procedural Level Generation - YouTube

It look quite easy to implement but i have a feeling that it will be quite limiting … I would love to add procedural rivers and road at least and i am not sure how to do it with that approach.

I have spent the last week trying to figure that out and i am starting to be very frustrated , all i ask is for someone to point me in the right direction. Should i keep insisting on using the Procedural Mesh so i can generate whatever terrain i like ? ( Knowing that i’d need at least a 10km map) is there some tricks i am not aware of ??

Thank you for taking the time to read that ! have a good day !

It looks like you’re doing just great.

I’m not a procedural terrain guru, but I’m pretty sure you’ll need to do something in C++ to get this whole thing up to speed for a game.

There is stuff on the market:

and I don’t think it’s a coincidence they are all plugins.

1 Like

Well, you never know, all those marketplace assets have contact details. A carefully worded email might produce some results…

Thank you for your response !

I am actually well versed in C++ (just not in UE or game design in general ) so i do not mind. The terrain generator is actually exactly what i am trying to do and i’d really love to do how he did that !