Procedural Landscape from Shader Graph w/ Geometry Clipmaps BP/C++

Currently creating it as a plugin for 4.26 onward.
Exporting the heightmaps sounds like a trivial task in comparison to what’s already in!

1 Like

This is such beautiful work Maxime, thank you for sharing it with us :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Put it into a plugin and got it working on 4.26.
Preparing a marketplace version. The github version remaining of course!

3 Likes

Of course you can also import heightmaps, add noise to them, blend them together… !
Hardest part is to convert the landscape material, i made a pretty basic one that doesn’t look that great.

3 Likes

Added runtime landscape layer support, can help blend materials, spawn assets at specific locations etc…

Added the ability to access the generated rendertarget from blueprint/cpp, laying some ground work for the ocean/land interaction.

2 Likes

This is a really cool plugin, crazy fast at generating the clip map and the geometry deformation, texture, etc. Awesome work, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

The latest version is available as a plugin 4.26+ compatible, supports spawning of any actor you want.

You can also use landscape layers to define asset spawning and multiple procedural world can share their generated data between each other:
Ocean can access the terrain height from the Land world.

Any actor spawning is pretty cool, you can spawn VFX, NPCs, anything you want really.

I am new to Github and unreal. How do you compile the zip file download? a link to directions would be appreciated as I am sure it is more than one or two line answer :wink: or have you uploaded a compiled version to Marketplace?

1 Like

You need Unreal Engine 4.26 + and the minimum to compile c++ project.

For instance free Visual Studio Community edition:

If you want more programming in Unreal Engine informations you can check it here, but it’s not necessary for this project as you just need to compile the existing code:

For latest version you can download the zip directly from github at this spot:

1 Like

This looks really cool any chance for spline support. Right now I am building from photogrammetry, and some part have edges and drops.

Example would be a sand bunker has a cut dirt edge of sawd grass, then goes to Sand.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest, lots of possibilities. Just submitted the plugin to marketplace, will see how it goes.
But i can see adding runtime editing, brushes, splines, …

Awesome. The main landscape is great but when you want to get into finer detail it lacks. Even hard edges for materials

1 Like

Hi there, Can’t wait for relase iam just refreshing to check it is live :slight_smile: Plugin will be functional for BP projects and users?

1 Like

Of course, considering adding a ‘brush’ system like landmass before pushing it live.

1 Like

Most up to date version is now available on the marketplace as ‘Shader World’

1 Like

Hello, Maxime. Thank you very much for making it free such incredible plugin. I have just added and I’ll give it another try. Last time, I tried to add the Kite Demo Landscape Material, but it didn’t spawned foliage. I converted the material into a material function and tried to plug it in using the height lerp node inside M_Basic_Setup_Caching. I’ll read the documentation a try to find directions. Thank you again. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

For spawnables you’ll have to define your foliages in the BP_ShaderWorld detail panel, spawnables tab.

The main subtility is that i’m using world space normals and go around the lack of some landscape nodes specific nodes by using alternatives (no equivalent to the landscape layer node for instance).

1 Like

Your quick response is much appreciated. I’ll check it out. Thank you.

1 Like

You can thank the google chrome notification that i thought i turned off :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like