Procedural Foliage not spawning in UE 5.1

I am having a difficult time adding PF to my landscape in UE 5.1. It keeps giving me the error “Unable to spawn instances. Ensure a large enough surface exists within the volume”.

As you can see by the image, I have a LOT of surface within the spawner. I currently have 5 individual field flowers at random seeds, sizes and placement, but in thinking this could be the issue, I removed all but 2 meshes and still had the same error appear.

Can anyone help[ me figure this out?

Also, does anyone know how I can use a grass node in my current autolandscape blueprint? When I try toa dd one it breaks everything.

Hey there @RLK_III! Bad luck again it seems! Does the instance work with different foliage actors? Or does it work on a smaller scale?

If it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all LMAO

No. I’ve tried smaller scale, larger, single actors and multi. I have a suspicion there’s a glitch in the bp somewhere… I’ll hunt to down…

So the good news is that I got the PF spawner to work… somewhat. However, something odd is happening. Instead of just having the spawner in my outliner, it has created a series of “foliage actors”… is this just a 5.1 thing or a weird bug?

Are you using world composition or world partition?

With composition, you should really create one spawner system per level.
Open the tile on its own, go to unlit to see things, add the spawner and auto adjust to the landscape, setup and spawn.
Save and move to the next tile.

For world whatever screw up they made last, it probably won’t work right because of it? Lots of people saying the system is worthless, so I’d assume them to be correct…

Sorry for the late response.

I am using World Partition as that is how UE decided to import my heightmap from gaea. LOL

I have tried just about everything and have NO idea why it won’t work… well, almost no idea.

My Landscape Location (X=-495935.683136,Y=-495935.683136,Z=100.000000)

I’d rather have 100x100x100 but when I do my camera logs in FAR off from the landscape when I first open Unreal and to date I haven’t found a fix. I don’t know for certain if the X/Y is an issue (I can’t see how it could be, to be honest) but I’ve tried everything else…

EDIT: Well… interesting. Once I moved my landscape to 100x100x100 I am no longer getting the spawn error and my meshes are spawning. Weird…

2 Likes

Usually, you never move imported terrains as it causes all sorts of issues even with procedural grass.

Not really sure this applies to world partition…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.