Problems with navigating my user interface with a gamepad (controller)

Hi,

I am working on a dynamic user interface for my ArchViz projects. I haven’t really done anything like this before so it was a bit of a challenge. I got it working well for keyboard and mouse controls. But when it comes to gamepad (xbox controller) I seem to bump into dead ends whatever approach I am trying to take. So here is what I want:

I got an array with locations (in groups) and I dynamically place them in a scroll box. So far so good. But when it comes to gamepad controls I can’t get them focused. I can get the close button focused. I also can get controls working for a scroll box that doesn’t have dynamic content. But I can’t navigate when the buttons are created dynamically. I tried all kind of things but nothing seems to really work and I couldn’t find any tutorials for my case or something close.

Is there a way to get the gamepad controls working in a scroll-box with dynamic buttons which doesn’t involve C++ programming and has the user focus set to UI only? Could anyone please point me in the right direction.

My workaround for some other scroll-boxes was to add the maximum buttons necessary and then remove buttons that are not needed. This way the buttons are not created on the fly. But with this list it would be quite complicated and a bit silly to do it that way.

I’m stuck with version 4.16.3 because 4.17 and 4.18 have broken features I need to use for this project.

Thanks for your help.

For anyone who has problems with gamepad navigation: this tutorial helped me to solve my UI problems.