Problem with translucent material

LightingError

Hello,
I have a very basic translucent material that works fine until a moveable light hits it at a certain angle/distance. When this happens the material appears to lose it’s translucent effect. So in my instance a player running with a flash light causes a flashing effect. I have played around with as many different settings within the material with no luck in finding a solution that still gives the desired material effect. Disconnecting the “Base Color” node removes the flickering and so does setting the “Shading Model” to “Clear Coat” however these both compromise the overall material. I have also tried removing reflections from the flashlight with nil effect. If anyone has any ideas what may be causing this, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks

you probably have lighting mode (under translucency) set to one of the vertex modes.
try setting it to surface volume or even forward shading

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Forward shading did the trick. I had it on surface volume and thought I tried all the other settings but I guess I didn’t. :slight_smile: you saved my hair.

2 Likes

Didn’t mean to dig this up from the grave, but I wanted to include a bit more info for anyone else dealing with flickering lights.

I’m using UE5 with lumen, and there’s a glass material in my project that’s been flickering when it reacts with a directional light casting from behind it (representing sunlight through a window). After going through numerous fixes of anti-aliasing, increasing final gather quality, using ray trace shadows, etc… it turns out the solution posted above works!

Many of the glass tutorials online recommend using a Lighting Mode of Surface TranclucencyVolume. Setting it to Surface ForwardShading fixed the issue.

Hope this helps anyone else deep in Google-fu.

Also having this issue, Forward Facing helped me get rid of this effect as well but now my material is too bright when light hits it, so much so that the opacity looks more masked then transparent. Any idea why this is the case for me?