Problem with material IDs changing order in the editor

Let’s say i have asset in 3ds max with multisub material with 10 submaterials. Asset itself is using (for now) only IDs 1, 3, 5. When i export it to UE I can assign materials to coresponding Element IDs. Everything is fine.
If i add another ID, let’s say 7, all is still ok because new material slot is added as last Element in the asset’s detail panel.

However, if i add another ID, in this case it’s 2, then all my materials in the editor are in wrong order, i have to reassing all the materials because last added ID (2) sits between IDs already present in the asset.
Is there a way or workflow how to avoid this problem? It’s becoming very frustrating.
Thanks,
H

You can’t avoid the thing…your IDs 1,3,5 in 3DSMax are not imported in UE4 this way. Like you saw, in UE4 your ID n°1 is 0, your ID n°3 is 1 and the n°5 is 2. It will work correctly as you mentionned in you create a new ID after the 5th BUT you will have to re assign if you want something between 1<>3 or 3<>5, no way :wink:

On the other hand, in 3DSMAX, you can easily and quickly assign or reassign IDs…do it in ‘Polygon’ selection mode, select 1 poly and then select all the polys with the same ID quickly under the - Polygon: Material IDs tool…

30169d48ebadfb4df70be68e0837e7efe2f12bbb.jpeg

not exactly what i wanted to hear, but i appreciate the help. Thanks!