Problem with high dpi scaling monitors

Hi community, i have one problem with my 4k monitor and UE4, but this problem affects so many things, i don’t wont find escaping decision anymore. I work on 23-inch monitor with 4K resolution, of course i use it with high dpi scaling, all UI elements just scaling x2 comparing fullHD. I keep silent about UE4 high DPI supporting on Windows. I was searching so many good and helpfull solutions. Now i run UE4 with string “-enablehighdpi” on shortcut UE4. Now UI Look pretty good, but i have next strange bug, which worries me - is draggable object position. On high DPI Monitor draggable object places at wrong position, i think this is fullHD pixels position, but i need scaled x2. How fix this?

1 Like

Can you explain in more detail how you got Unreal 4 to load in HighDPI mode? I just got a 4K monitor and the pixelated text is killing me.

Close the Engine. Right click on the EpicGamesLauncher > Properties > Compatibility. Check the box for “Override high DPI scaling behavior.” Set “Scaling performed by:” to “System”. This works for me across resolutions/ windows scaling.

1 Like

You saved my life! :smiley: Thx!
With new high dpi options in UE 4.19 I was having measurement issues with 4k monitors!

Awesome it worked !

Fantastic, thank you !

Sorted me out too, I’ve tried all combinations of compatibility settings, prefs DPI options and command line switches before with no luck. Currently experiencing lots of scaling related Sequencer crashes and in this case it worked! Nice one.

I follow instruction and it worked … but text in Editor are not clearly and sharp. I’m using 4k monitor and window scale 150%

256947-text.png

same here.

I found most universal solution. I think you all already know it. BTW i need some place for right answer for me.

This two flags solve my problem.

I am still having scaling issues with the setting that corrects the scaling issue for me. When I load the program boot up logo menu scaling and text are the correct size and not burly.

Right click on the EpicGamesLauncher > Properties > Compatibility. Check the box for “Override high DPI scaling behavior.” Set “Scaling performed by:” to “System (Enhanced)”.

Using the System (Enhanced) mode after clicking open project. Nothing loads or if it does load I just see my windows background still. I am unable to see the Unreal Engine software.

Any way to get the System Enhanced working?

Solved 4K Scaling Win10 Unreal 4.26.0 with Sharp Text and Sharp Demo FPS using alt + p

Before starting double check your settings and make sure these settings are changed first before applying the method.

Right click on the Unreal Engine “Shortcut”> Properties > Compatibility. UnCheck the box for “Override high DPI scaling behavior.” And yes, uncheck is correct for what we are going to do.

Open Unreal Engine > you may select a new project or current one you have > Click on Edit > Editor Preferences > Make sure “Enable High DPI Support” is Checked.

General > Performance > “Disable DPI Based Editor Viewport” is Checked.

Go ahead and Close Unreal.

Method Setup :

Right Click On Your Desktop and Select Display Settings

Left Click On Your 4K Monitor it should be labeled 1 or 2.

Scroll Down To “Scale and layout”

Click On The Drop Down Menu For “Change the size of text, apps, and other items”

Select 300% Recommended (My setup works with 300% which is the recommended yours might be different but use your own recommended.

Click on “Advanced scaling settings”

“Let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry” Switch This To “OFF” and close the window.

Open Unreal Engine > Click on “Window” at the top left. Click on Developer Tools > Widget Reflector > Application Scale: Change from 1.0 to 0.8 and hit Enter.

Now your Windows apps will be correct size plus Unreal Engine will be correct size with non blurry text and also do alt + p for the FPS demo and that should be sharp as well.

I hope that helps some of yall. I thought something like this would be fixed by now.

-Matt

Solved 4K Scaling Win10 Unreal 4.26.0 with Sharp Text and Sharp Demo FPS using alt + p

Before starting double check your settings and make sure these settings are changed first before applying the method.

Right click on the Unreal Engine “Shortcut”> Properties > Compatibility. UnCheck the box for “Override high DPI scaling behavior.” And yes, uncheck is correct for what we are going to do.

Open Unreal Engine > you may select a new project or current one you have > Click on Edit > Editor Preferences > Make sure “Enable High DPI Support” is Checked.

General > Performance > “Disable DPI Based Editor Viewport” is Checked.

Go ahead and Close Unreal.

Method Setup :

Right Click On Your Desktop and Select Display Settings

Left Click On Your 4K Monitor it should be labeled 1 or 2.

Scroll Down To “Scale and layout”

Click On The Drop Down Menu For “Change the size of text, apps, and other items”

Select 300% Recommended (My setup works with 300% which is the recommended yours might be different but use your own recommended.

Click on “Advanced scaling settings”

“Let Windows try to fix apps so they’re not blurry” Switch This To “OFF” and close the window.

Open Unreal Engine > Click on “Window” at the top left. Click on Developer Tools > Widget Reflector > Application Scale: Change from 1.0 to 0.8 and hit Enter.

Now your Windows apps will be correct size plus Unreal Engine will be correct size with non blurry text and also do alt + p for the FPS demo and that should be sharp as well.

I hope that helps some of yall. I thought something like this would be fixed by now.

-Matt

2 Likes

This is excellent. I would add that my Red Eagle monitor says it supports HDR and 144 HZ.

It’s on an Nvidia GTX 1050 and the Windows profile was set for 60HZ, I don’t know how I didn’t change this earlier now I can go to with 150% as I am on a 23-inch monitor

1 Like

Thank you! Especially the Widget Reflector part I did not realize. Very useful!

1 Like