Problem with C++ Battery Tutorial

Hello,

I am trying to follow the battery tutorial, but I cannot succesfully compile the code (from the PickUp tutorial). I know some things changed since 4.6 (as outlined in here) and I tried adapting my code to it, to no avail. i am also getting some weird Visual Studio 2013 errors, which I would appreciate any help on (it is preventing me from compiling this specific project).

My header code looks likes so (I included the newer constructor declaration):

#include "GameFramework/Actor.h"
#include "PickUp.generated.h"

UCLASS()
class TUTORIALCODE_API APickUp : public AActor
{
	GENERATED_BODY()

// Constructor declaration
	APickUp(const FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer);

/** True when the pickup is able to be picked up, false if something deactivates the pickup */
	UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = Pickup)
	bool bIsActive;

/** Simple colision primitive to use as the root component */
	UPROPERTY(VisibleDefaultsOnly, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = Pickup)
	TSubobjectPtr<USphereComponent> BaseCollisionComponent;

/** StaticMeshComponent to represent the pickup in the level */
	UPROPERTY(VisibleDefaultsOnly, BlueprintReadOnly, Category = Pickup)
	TSubobjectPtr<UStaticMeshComponent> PickupMesh;

/** Function to call when the pickup is collected */
	UFUNCTION(BlueprintNativeEvent)
	void onPickedUp();

public:	
	// Sets default values for this actor's properties
	APickUp();

// Called when the game starts or when spawned
	virtual void BeginPlay() override;

// Called every frame
	virtual void Tick( float DeltaSeconds ) override;

};

My .cpp code looks like so (I included the new constructor which includes FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer):

// Fill out your copyright notice in the Description page of Project Settings.

#include "TutorialCode.h"
#include "PickUp.h"

// Sets default values
APickUp::APickUp(const FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer)
	: Super(ObjectInitializer)
{
 	// Set this actor to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.
	PrimaryActorTick.bCanEverTick = true;

//The pickup is valid when it is created
	bIsActive = true;

//Create the root SphereComponent to handle the pickup's collision
	BaseCollisionComponent = ObjectInitializer.CreateDefaultSubobject<USphereComponent>(this, TEXT("BaseSphereComponent"));

// Set the Spherecomponent as the root component
	RootComponent = BaseCollisionComponent;

//Create the static mesh component
	PickupMesh = ObjectInitializer.CreateDefaultSubobject<StaticMeshComponent>(this, TEXT("PickupMesh"));

//Turn physics for the static mesh
	PickupMesh->SetSimulatePhysics(true);

// Attach the StaticMeshComponent to the root component
	PickuMesh->Attachto(RootComponent);
}

void APickup::OnPickedUp_Implementation()
{
	//There is no default behavior for a Pickup when it is picked up
}
// Called when the game starts or when spawned
void APickUp::BeginPlay()
{
	Super::BeginPlay();

}

// Called every frame
void APickUp::Tick( float DeltaTime )
{
	Super::Tick( DeltaTime );

}

My Debug Error List:

Error	1	error code: OtherCompilationError (5)	C:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\Error	TutorialCode
Error	2	error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.9\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" TutorialCodeEditor Win64 DebugGame "C:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\TutorialCode.uproject" -rocket -waitmutex" exited with code -1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	38	5	TutorialCode
	3	IntelliSense: identifier "BaseCollisionComponent" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	19	2	TutorialCode
	4	IntelliSense: identifier "PickupMesh" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	25	2	TutorialCode
	5	IntelliSense: no instance of overloaded function "FObjectInitializer::CreateDefaultSubobject" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (APickUp *, const wchar_t [11])
            object type is: const FObjectInitializer	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	25	32	TutorialCode
	6	IntelliSense: identifier "StaticMeshComponent" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	25	56	TutorialCode
	7	IntelliSense: identifier "PickuMesh" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	31	2	TutorialCode
	8	IntelliSense: name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	34	6	TutorialCode
	9	IntelliSense: expected a type specifier	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.h	22	2	TutorialCode
	10	IntelliSense: expected a type specifier	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.h	26	2	TutorialCode

Error 1 and Error 2 have me stumped. I read somewhere that I need to provide admin privileges to Visual Studio, but I can’t give them to deven.exe. This didn’t happen when I followed the Quick Start Tutorial, either. The rest of the errors (3 through 10) were produced after I tried to adapt the pre 4.6 tutorial code to a more 4.9 version (Which I failed at).

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to take the steps to learn from these tutorials

The problem is that you’re using TSubObjectPtr - which was deprecated quite a while ago, we just use regular pointers now. For example:

TSubobjectPtr<USphereComponent> BaseCollisionComponent;

becomes

USphereComponent* BaseCollisionComponent;

You also don’t need the parameter in the constructor anymore:

// Sets default values
APickUp::APickUp()
{
 	// Set this actor to call Tick() every frame.  You can turn this off to improve performance if you don't need it.

bIsActive = true;

BaseCollisionComponent = CreateDefaultSubobject<USphereComponent>(this, TEXT("BaseSphereComponent"));

PickupMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<StaticMeshComponent>(this, TEXT("PickupMesh"));

PickupMesh->AttachTo(RootComponent);
}

Thank you very much for your responses (and i apologize for the double post you surely saw). These were indeed accepted by the compiler, but I hit another wall (and I’ve searched around for Rama’s transition as well as other posts):

// Sets default values
APickUp::APickUp()
{

bIsActive = true;

BaseCollisionComponent = CreateDefaultSubobject<USphereComponent>(this, TEXT("BaseSphereComponent"));

PickupMesh = CreateDefaultSubobject<StaticMeshComponent>(this, TEXT("PickupMesh"));

PickuMesh->Attachto(RootComponent);
}

void APickUp::onPickedUp_Implementation()
{
	//There is no default behavior for a Pickup when it is picked up
}

The new error list:

Error	1	error code: OtherCompilationError (5)	C:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\Error	TutorialCode
Error	2	error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.9\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" TutorialCodeEditor Win64 DebugGame "C:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\TutorialCode.uproject" -rocket -waitmutex" exited with code -1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	38	5	TutorialCode
	3	IntelliSense: no instance of overloaded function "APickUp::CreateDefaultSubobject" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (APickUp *, const wchar_t [20])	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	18	27	TutorialCode
	4	IntelliSense: no instance of overloaded function "APickUp::CreateDefaultSubobject" matches the argument list
            argument types are: (APickUp *, const wchar_t [11])	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	24	15	TutorialCode
	5	IntelliSense: identifier "StaticMeshComponent" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	24	38	TutorialCode
	6	IntelliSense: identifier "PickuMesh" is undefined	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	30	2	TutorialCode
	7	IntelliSense: class "APickUp" has no member "onPickedUp_Implementation"	c:\Users\Nubra\Documents\Unreal Projects\TutorialCode\Source\TutorialCode\PickUp.cpp	33	15	TutorialCode

It seems I am making a mistake when creating the default subobject. Also, onPickedUp_Implementation is failing (there’s no reference to it on my header file, but the tutorial didn’t include one?).

Thanks a lot for the help you have already provided.

Remove the this parameter from your CreateDefaultSubobject call.

All class names start with a prefix, like A, U, F, etc. When creating a subobject, you need to specify a class name. StaticMeshComponent is not a class, it’s called UStaticMeshComponent.

PickuMesh is just a typo.

That did it. Thank you very much to both of you for helping me with this!