Problem when transferring an entire project to a new location/name

To build a package or launch, are the source files required? As a programmer, I have all the source files, but my artists/designers/producers do not. I can package/launch without problem. So I attempt to build all binaries (both engine and my game code) and supply them in source control. But at that point, if they attempt to package/launch they get…

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): InternalUtils.SafeFindFiles: SafeFindFiles D:\Test\Binaries\Win64 TEST_DEMO.exe True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): InternalUtils.FindFiles: FindFiles D:\Test\Binaries\Win64 TEST_DEMO.exe True
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ErrorReporter.Error: ERROR: AutomationTool error: No files found to deploy for D:\Test\Binaries\Win64 with wildcard TEST_DEMO.exe and exclusions 
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationTool: No files found to deploy for D:\Test\Binaries\Win64 with wildcard TEST_DEMO.exe and exclusions 
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Stacktrace:    at DeploymentContext.Sta
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): geFiles(StagedFileType FileType, String InPath, String Wildcard, Boolean bRecursive, String[] ExcludeWildcard, String NewPath, Boolean bAllowNone, Boolean bRemap, String NewName) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\DeploymentContext.cs:line 319
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at BaseWinPlatform.StageExecutable(String Ext, DeploymentContext SC, String InPath, String Wildcard, Boolean bRecursive, String[] ExcludeWildcard, String NewPath, Boolean bAllowNone, StagedFileType InStageFileType, String NewName) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Win\WinPlatform.Automation.cs:line 20
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at BaseWinPlatform.GetFilesToDeployOrStage(ProjectParams Params, DeploymentContext SC) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Win\WinPlatform.Automation.cs:line 132
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at Win64Platform.GetFilesToDeployOrStage(ProjectParams Params, DeploymentContext SC) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Win\WinPlatform.Automation.cs:line 323
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at Project.CreateStagingManifest(ProjectParams Params, DeploymentContext SC) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\CopyBuildToStagingDirectory.Automation.cs:line 199
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory(ProjectParams Params) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\CopyBuildToStagingDirectory.Automation.cs:line 1101
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:line 258
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at BuildCommand.Execute() in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\BuildCommand.cs:line 37
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List`1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary`1 Commands) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Automation.cs:line 371
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String[] CommandLine) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Automation.cs:line 343
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 167
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(MainProc Main, Object Param) in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Utils.cs:line 649
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):    at AutomationTool.Program.Main() in d:\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 114
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: No files found to deploy for D:\Test\Binaries\Win64 with wildcard TEST_DEMO.exe and exclusions 

They are able to Play without issue - but Launch or building Package fails.
What am I failing at here?
Please advise.

Hi JasonKng,

I’m going to make a few suggestions before we dig into the source code idea. What versions of VS are your staff running? First suggestion would be to make sure that everyone is updated to Visual Studio 2013. If that doesn’t work, here is the second suggestion: here is a thread from an earlier version of the Editor where someone was having the same problem. Can you follow the suggested fix steps and see if that helps?

If neither of these helps, report back here and we’ll try harder. Thanks very much!

Hi wittlief,

We are using Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition. I followed the steps in the link and our Default GameMode was set to not None. Our Global Default Server Game Mode was set to None, but changing it made no differences.

Right, somehow I knew it wouldn’t be that easy :smiley:

Can you tell me for what platform you are packaging, and can you attach the entire output logs for a failed attempt? I’ll see what else I can find out for you.

Thanks very much!

We are building for Windows 64-bit. I’ve attached both success.txt and failed.txt console logs.

uhg… ignore the inline links - they are mismatched with the actual files.

Hi JasonKng,

I found one more minor thing that might help, if this is unrelated I will use your attached logs (thanks for those!) to find out more about your issue. Have you activated source control settings in the editor itself? See if this helps: Collaboration and Version Control in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

If it does not report back and I will check in with packaging and deployment team. Thanks very much!

Hi Wittlief,
This is occurring on any system for any of our projects that do not have the source included in the workspace. On my system, I do not currently have source control activated in the editor - it crashes for me and I’ll be putting up another answerhub query about that later. In my non-source test workspace it fails. Additionally on my artists/designers/producers systems, they have activated source control within the editor and they are still unable to package/launch - but only when they have not included the source in their workspace. Once they include the source they are able to package/launch.

Hi ,
Looking at the log there seems as though it can’t find this file
D:\test\Unreal Engine\PROJECTS\RISE_DK2_TECH_DEMO\RISE_DEMO_Branch002\Binaries\Win64\RISE_DEMO.exe
Can it be confirmed that this file is there?

Regards

It is not there - it is also not there for the source-based package/launcher. In the source-based package/launcher, I have a RISE_DEMO_Branch001.exe that is built.

Hi ,

Here’s what I believe is going on. In your project folder on your machine (the one that will build the executable), in the Source folder should be a RISE_DEMO.Target.cs file. It might be RISE_DEMO_Branch001.Target.cs. Either name of the file is fine, but inside the file, the class being defined needs to match the name of the uproject. So something like:

public class RISE_DEMOTarget : TargetRules

More than likely it is

RISE_DEMO_Branch001Target : TargetRules

We pull the game executable name from the TargetRules class object and that is why it is generating a RISE_DEMO_Branch001.exe instead of RISE_DEMO.exe. Modify the Target.cs file to be the RISE_DEMOTarget, build your game and you should now have a RISE_DEMO.exe after the build which you can submit for artists and designers to use.

I’m guessing at some point you generated a RISE_DEMO_Branch001 project and then started using that as the base for all of your changes. We’ll take a look at how to make this more bulletproof, but in the meantime, this should hopefully solve your problem.

-Pete

Hi Pete,

Yep, that was the problem. Switching to RISE_DEMOTarget did resolve. Overall there appeared to be some confusion when transferring an entire project to a new location/name. The biggest issue is that you have to migrate within UnrealEd instead of doing a batch rename and such outside of UnrealEd. So our module had to stay as RISE_DEMO_Branch001 because of blueprint dependencies. This propagated the error to the target.

Thanks,