problem! the point cloud orthophoto is better than texture

I am scanning the facade of a church, I created an orthophoto from the point cloud, this before texturising the model, the result is amazing, I would even say perfect, I can see writings of a few millimetres, microscopic lesions on the wall, detail of the 1mm/orthophoto px. From the program’s estimate I can get down to 0.3mm/px. Then I textured the model and made the orthophoto from the textured model, the latter is terrible, I can’t see details smaller than 3mm. I tried to redo the orthophoto of the point cloud, and now I no longer get the initial detail. Can you help me? Thank you

Why, after creating the texture, do I not get the same initial result by setting the same parameters?

Hey,

The first orthophoto was probably rendered from vertex coloring (True ortho from a colored model) or you used the rendering method set to Image mosaicing. If you have a very dense mesh the ortho from the vertex coloring might look really good.

If you are using the True ortho from a textured model rendering method, to get the best possible result do the following:

1. First you need to texture the mesh with the best possible quality. Set Style to Fixed texel size and Texel size to Optimal.
    Texturing

2. In the Orthoprojection tool click on Estimate next to Estimate optimal resolution. In this example of my georeferenced scene, it is 0.005 meters.
    Ortho

Now, this is the best possible quality, and it might be an overkill. What I recommend is to set the desired value in the texel size and use the same value in the Ortho pixel size.

I hope this helps, let us know if this solved your problem.

Cheers!

When generating the texture I set everything to the maximum, and I reduced the pixel size to 0.0001 but I don’t see any improvements. then I colored the cloud again and the problem disappeared. I don’t understand, the texture should be better than the cloud…but!

Hi, can you please try setting Jakub recommended?
With your settings you are creating only 1 texture and that could be the reason for such results.
Pixel size like 0.0001 doesn’t really make sense and it can create un-openable ortho.
Also, can you share your ortho creation settings?

ok, should I unwrap first? what parameters set to optimize unwrap?

That would be good. Use the settings from Jakub’s post.

very good, the problem is solved. Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like