Problem creating translucent curtain with Lumen

Hi there!

I’ve been developing an archviz scene with Lumen, and I’ve been happy with the results, with the exception of the curtains. I want them to be translucent, but as you can see, the result is everything but that:

I followed this tutorial: Photorealistic Curtain Tutorial | Unreal Engine 5 - YouTube, but to no avail.

What can I do to solve this? By the way, I’m using Unreal Engine 5.2.0 Preview 2.

Hey @Razorskyline,

Which part are you needing translucent? You should set the blend mode to translucent as described at 9:45 of your tutorial. Or if you are wanting the light to just shine through the holes in your pattern, you could try settinging your current material blend mode to mask and also connecting your current texture sample to opacity mask in addition to what you already have.

Thanks for the input, @Quetzalcodename !

I need all the curtain be translucent. At 12:00 of the tutorial, the youtuber says that, in order for the material to work with Lumen, it is necessary to switch the blend mode to opaque.

I tried the method you described in you screenshot, but my curtain literally disappeared, i.e., I can’t even select it from the viewport:

There is something that I’m doing wrong, surely?

Hey @Razorskyline,

Did some more digging into the solution! Check out this non-Epic tutorial for a full setup of a curtain using the masked method:

At the moment you may need more tweaking to get the result you are looking for, as this still uses path tracing. You may in fact want to switch to raytracing without Lumen.

Thank you again for your reply, @Quetzalcodename.
I’ve seen that tutorial yesterday; it’s unfortunate I might not be able to use Lumen for my archviz, but I’ll give path tracing a try.