Prgram cant cause api-ms-win-downlevel-kernal32 blah blah dll is missing

Make sure there is only one launcher exists on the PC. The method mentioned above must work the. Since the dll is simply missing from the folder it just needs to be added.

Windows 7 is no longer a supported-by-Microsoft OS, for over a year. The only ā€œincompetenceā€ I see here is people trying to hang on to a dead OS.

You may have an emotional attachment to Windows 7, and thatā€™s fine. You can run it in a hyper-v virtual machine or something. But for regular development, itā€™s time to let it go. If you donā€™t like Windows 10, thereā€™s also macOS and Linux to choose from.

That doesnā€™t matter. Windows 7 was end-of-lifed over a year ago. Running Windows 7 connected to the internet at this point is irresponsible at best, and an invitation for trouble for most people.

It absolutely doesnā€™t matter what I want or feel about this. Microsoft has decided that Windows 10 is the only supported Windows. If I want to stay on Windows, I have to use Windows 10. I can also choose another desktop OS, or I can choose to not use computers at all. Or I can choose to stick with an obsolete, unsupported OS. Each of those choices come with a variety of outcomes. If I choose the obsolete and unsupported OS, I should expect that software updates that I depend on will become obsolete and unsupported as well.

Another OS version that is long gone, is Windows XP. The exact same complaints people make about Windows 7 being obsolete now, were made when Windows XP was made obsolete. In the end, using Windows XP these days is a tiny, tiny fraction of all legitimate Windows installs. (Although some embedded systems still stick with it, for mostly bad money-saving-in-the-short-term reasons.)

I will have more success with my attempt to use Windows-based computers, if I stay on the supported Windows 10 mainline. Thatā€™s just how it is, no matter what other version I might personally prefer to use. If I choose to use an unsupported version, then I will run into unsupported behavior, and thatā€™s my own choice.

1 Like

And yet 99% of software out there does not exhibit this problem for users of Windows 7.

So what is the Epic Launcher using that relies on this DLL ? And could it just as well use an alternative ?

And just as an update, the issue still persists with the latest client version.

Hi from Kenya. Before the recent update in End of January I downloaded epic games everything was working well until this update ppl have been complaining about came Also I tried the above things ppl were saying my issue is the unsupported graphics card. Its really frustrating I cannot use the application anymore cause this issue pls tell me how I can fix this I need help Iā€™m windows 7-32 bit everything was working fine before ive managed to fix the api error message now I need help with the unsupported graphics card pls epic games fix your launcher anything is possible you guys can fix it.

An update to the Epic Games Launcher, version 12.1.7, was just released that address this issue.

Head over to https://www.epicgames.com/store/download to get the latest version, and let us know if it resolves the problem!

Weā€™re working on a fix to address a similar issue that occurs when trying to launch the Unreal Editor and weā€™ll follow up once that update is available.

3 Likes

Can confirm, the issue seems to be gone with the Epic Launcher. Thanks ! :slight_smile:

I donā€™t get the error anymore with the launcher but do still get it when launching UE.

Can confirm this is still a problem as of the middle of July 2021 but more importantly it was not just the epic launcher affected. Engines, various sub programs within the editor, and even packaged up projects compiled and finalized from the editor all spit out the same missing dll error.

Dragging a copy of the file manually into the various bin directories does serve to quiet the error but I have concerns about that being a long term solution. Especially if things are getting packaged without all necessary components. I donā€™t think anyone wants to release their project to find Win7 users get an ugly error message on launch or much worse canā€™t run it at all.

2 Likes