Prevent closing mesh

Hi, I noticed the generated mesh was watertight closed, which is often desired, but sometimes not when we want to handle single-sided geometry. Also, closing holes can hide geometry on meshes with concave areas. Is there a possibility to disable hole closing? Thanks.

Hello Olivier,

unfortunately it is not possible to turn this feature off.

However, after the model is created you can use Advanced selection tools - Select marginal triangles, which selects the triangles that are enclosing the volume but are not part of the current reconstruction, and filter them afterwards.

Thanks Zuzana, it would be great if this feature was proposed as optional in a future update.

1 Like

Hi, I would like to open this discussion. As far as I know, it has not been implemented as a feature so far.
It would be very useful for forensics and other documentation related fields not to get closed meshes. Agisoft Photoscan was a bit designed not to close meshes back in the day. In most cases, it didn’t force close objects, which can be critical when it comes to documentation of scenes. Especially for destruction documentation of infrastructure, it would be very handy and helpful if not all meshes had to be closed. It is also about not inventing geometries that are not there, and it is also about the fact that other scans or meshes can then “close” the information gap that was recorded at a different time by someone else.