Press Button to Continue Sequence

Hey everyone, I want to do a sequence involving dialogue but I would like to require a keypress to advance the scene line by line. Is there a way to do this? Google was of no help.

The answer to this depends on how the dialogue system works. How do you store and handle data?

At the most fundamental level, you’d have an integer iterator variable, increase it by one on input, have it fetch an array entry and push it into a widget.

1 Like

In this particular instance it would just be audio files with subtitles playing as they normally would in a sequence. I would just have them triggered by a key press as opposed to auto-playing as they normally would.

Does not really matter what they are. Data is data, you operate on it. How to approach it depends on the scope, need for flexibilty, ease of maintenance, personal preferences and desired result.

We currently know nothing about how & where you even store it, how dialogue is supposed to work.

If you’re not sure where to start, look into Structs and Data Tables. Or explain in detail how you’re storing it if you have that working already. Accessing and presenting it to the player will depend on that.