Download

Prepping Our First Commercial Project

Hello! We are a small group who have formed an indie development studio, comprised of 20 members,
who all have a reasonable amount of game development, mod and UE4 experience on average, but this will be our first serious project, with the UE4, that we will be selling on completion.

This project will be a single player, squad based FPS with vehicles, RPG elements, and many customization options. There will also be coop.

The following is our current development order (chronologically sorted),

1. Concept Art (characters, vehicles etc)
  2. Level Planning
  3. Test Models (characters, weapons)
  4. Test Levels
  5. Beta levels
  6. Animation
  7. Sound
  8. Dialogue
  9. Music
  10. QA/misc

We were wondering if Epic could give us advice on this. Is it correctly sorted for best efficiency?
Also what should be done first: programming, scripting or the level creation? Done simultaneously?

Lastly,
There is an FPS example, “ShooterGame”, on the marketplace. Can that be used as a base? If not, or not recommended,
is it better to use FPS shooter base or Blank?

Finally what is the difference (advantages/disadvantages) between a blueprint project and C++ project?

Thank you
Nick

I’m not sure about the ideal development order but shooter game and all other demos can be used as a base for any commercial UE4 based project.

1. rough overview:
    -create a rough concept in which direction you want to go → so how should it look like, gameplay,…
    -start drawing concept arts + begin with the gameplay programming + start creating meshes + create the most important animations which you need for the basic movement
    -after you have the basic movement (how far a player can jump, how fast he can run,…) you can start creating the level

-now improve everything and add new stuff → other gameplay elements, sounds, better animations,…

During that time I would always do some testing so that you can see how it “feels” like + you might find some bugs :wink: There is no perfect order or way how you should do all the stuff → it’s something that depends on the team, project,…

1. It depends, when you want to use blueprints, I would recommend you to start with the shooter template. Otherwise use the shooter game
  2. In my opinion the advantage of blueprints is, that they are easy to use -> so in a short period of time, a beginner can create complex systems with it :slight_smile:

Thank you Eternus Nox and fighter5347;

we are beginning the concept art phase.

Anyone else who’d like to give us any comments or advice are welcome.