Precomputed Static Visibility won't build

Hello!

I have a map setup with multiple streamed levels. I have build lighting for them, and want it to generate Precomputed Static Visibility. I have placed the Precomputed Visibility Volumes, as well as Lightmass Importance Volumes. I have Precomputed Visibility set in the world settings. I can also see that I have 107 lightmaps rendered.

I used to bake the Precomputed visibility volumes without any issues. However, now I am seemingly unable! I have built everything, as well as just lighting and then just Precomputed Static Visibility. It will run for a while, export and then tell me there was a map-check error that maps need lighting rebuilt. The warning shows that I have not baked the precomputed visibility, and if I tick the “Show Precomputed Visibility Cells” option, I see none in the world. Using “r.ShowPrecomputedVisibilityCells 1” results in nothing as well.

What could I be doing wrong to be unable to generate this? I know that it was working for the longest time and seemingly nothing has changed in the project since then.

1 Like

So I got it fixed eventually! I had a few issues that I will make sure to list here:

1. Make sure your Precomputed Visibility Volumes are placed down, ours got deleted for some reason by accident, we aren’t really sure what happened to them.

2. When building from Source, make sure to recompile, or UnrealVS Quick Build the “UnrealLightmass” program for Development->Win64

3. When building lighting, I had weird objects that were throwing errors when trying to precompute static visibility. These objects simply would not bake. I found the list of them via the command : DumpUnbuiltLightInteractions
    To fix this, I simply deleted the objects, you could probably just cut/paste or replace them if so inclined, but I personally didn’t care about the items that were causing issues.

4. We had accidentally misread one tick-box in the Precompute Static Visibility settings of the World Settings. This option reads something like: “Place Precomputed static visibility only along camera tracks.” If you don’t want that, make sure it’s OFF. We had misread the option and neglected to read the keyword ONLY and thought it would place in world, as well as along tracks, this is not the case.

Some combination of these issues were stopping our precomputed static visibility from building, so make sure to look at all of these if yours refuses to build as well! I hope this helps someone out there!