PR #1552 : Toon Shading Model

+1 Would love to have integrated

Is there any news on ? sorry i have been bad at keeping up with all the unreal news…

I just went and looked into the status of the PR:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1552

It looks like there are some unresolved conflicts, but I’m going to do some digging and see what the current plan is.

I did some digging and found that the developer that was working on that PR hasn’t been available. Currently my plan is to have it reassigned to someone with more time to take a look. Sorry about the hold up!

Really hoping that gets implemented. Arnage’s toon shader looks phenomenal.

Any new news on +

As it is a large implementation and there are limited amounts of developers to evaluate the request, there hasn’t been much traction since. They are also discussing how to keep the editor size down by having project specific feature pull requests be left as plugins that can be turned on and off as needed. is an effort to reduce both engine and packaging sizes smaller.

I wouldn’t expect one to be implemented soon if it is not kept as a plugin. We’re entering crunch for GDC and the devs will be focusing on that for the next month, but I can see how things are progressing after.

I do not wish to be anoying, so please forgive me if i am, but i just have to ask:

Is there any news post GDC?

Also if you want to read it here would be my case for shading model:
(if one of my statements is inaccurate please excuse me and feel free so correct me, i am more of a designer than a coder)

On plugins and size:
From what i understand Shading Models like can not be implemented as a plugin, but i do not understand how size is a problem here as the size is listed as <1MB (“A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums”).

On the value of addition:
The addition of a functioning capable toon shading model would enable smaller creative developers with small or no designated art-department to share their visions.
While Cel-Shading is known from anime it is much more powerful in creative indie-games.

Take for example teaser by Mr Janks from the original toon shading thread:

(Toon shading model - Game Development - Epic Developer Community Forums)

I also think that a performant artstyle like is currently the way to go for VR and a shading model supporting artstyle would help more awesome experiences for Unreal be created.

Further i think the community has shown its real interrest and dedication to project. shading model has been supported and longed for by the community for almost 2 years now.

In closing:
Shading Model would not only be something ‘nice to have’, but i think it is something Unreal Engine is currently lacking.
I do think that the file-size pales in comparison to the new variety of artstyles and expresions possible with, and the ease of use of shading model.

PS: I love Unreal, it is great, please don’t hate me, i just wanted to give a passionate statement for addition :wink:

**[FONT=Arial Black] needs to happen!
The work is basically done already, and the art possibilities opens are WAY worth implementing. is indeed a feature that is currently lacking, having to fiddle around to get a simple stylized look is very frustrating.

Hope gets attention!

Cheers

+1 Just chiming in as another dev who would love to see integrated with the epic branch of the engine.

+1 We could really use functionality!

+1

Is there any news on , considering that GDC is over, and has been on the waiting list for a while?

+1

It would be very usefull if there would be possibility like dev tools that you can install even that those are not in engine

Any news on ?

Yeah come on now guys! Been waiting for to arrive for AGES, been relying on unlit light vector materials to do for me and it’s just such a a bad way to work around it. really needs to happen!

Updated Trello says that following is ready for 4.17
Support for Global Shaders in Plugins - Plugins can now create their own global shaders without modifying the engine.

:smiley:

is the best news I’ve seen all year.

Finally! is awesome news! :smiley:

Exciting! I’m no expert on programming so having as a plugin is fantastic <3

Awesome o