Post Processing Material Covering Particle Effects

So I have a unique issue that involves a Post processing material I created.

The issue is that my Post processing material over-rides particle effects that are generated during gameplay. And since I am generating the scene distance in my material (UE4’s scene distance is sort of wonky), it is laying the effect over the particles unless they are generating over close by objects. It creates a weird visual effect that doesn’t look good.

I need the distance shader to help create an underwater effect to my gameplay. I have done a lot of research to try to fix the issue, and the best thing I can come up with is creating a mask on the particles using custom Depth. However, I’m not sure how effective this will actually be.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

1 Like

An overview of the shader if that helps anyone visualize its effect. I just added the mask for custom depth. The generated height map was to create a gradient on top of everything else, but it was disconnected for bug testing. It doesn’t seem to be the culprit.

1 Like

Alright I figured it out.

The entire issue was that the materials that were going over the post processing were additive and transparent. We’re using Forward Rendering, where you only get one transparency in a scene. SO, I changed the materials to masked and that helped. It was also that the effects were attached to an object that put transparent objects being rendered last.

1 Like