Possible to monitor unit movements in game?

hi guys, im not sure how/what to do in this logic…
please bear with me as i try hard to explain what i mean…

lets say i want to create a world…

where i can track every characters movement… even offscreen/ near and far away the player’s character…

lets say, player character is character A
i met character B who is going to town B at a faster pace than the character speed
i met character C who is going to town B at a slow pace
also the player meets character C and D who is killing each other…
then, lets say there are 500 more characters doing things they are doing…
going to point F or G or Z etc…

ok, so when i arrive halfway the path to town B i return to the starting point…
so yeah, when returning, you meet character C who you should meet again, because he was slower than you…
and also when you arrive the starting point, you see that character D has killed character D…

and so on and on…

i mean, yeah, itis easy to think in one small level…
but how about in a big world…? lets say just half way to town b was a hundred km…

in logic, all of this… if i really did monitor all movements… would it slow the game down?

think fallout 3 / skyrim, in the world map, each characters doing their own things right?
a closer comparison is mount and blade warband, where all other characters are doing something, going to town a, b c etc…
when you look up the character list, you can see that character C is in town Z,
or better. character F was last seen near town H… and was heading toward town K…

or another… lets say you sent a scout to town Z… then an hour later while the player is playing, the scout was killed, because bandits are in town z… and the scout was caught…
so the player will get an alert. the scout has been killed in town z by character V…

i really hope you get what i mean…

so the question is, in what way i can minimize the load etc…
im thinking like turn off render when offscreen… but let them still move / do what they were doing…

by it’s very nature the engine keeps track of the x-y-z of all actors. AI will keep doing what it does even if its not being rendered. as for keeping track to see if some AI had died, once you have set up hp system for it, as soon as HP=<0 then alert the player that it has died. you could set up trigger box’s to say what area an actor is in, so when it is inside that box and dies the alert comes as “random AI 2711 just died in Zone 3”. something like that. :slight_smile: