Possible to create a planet with atmosphere that is not round but has a custom mesh?

Hi there,

I’m relatively new to UE. I’m coming from film / video / and “classical” VFX area and really want to dive into UE5 for use in VFX and the new fascinating virtual production world.

At the moment I’m exploring the abilities to realize some shots for a film project we’re developing right now and I’m trying to find out which approach / technique would be the best for us to produce them (Classical CG rendering / VFX workflow or Unreal Engine/Virtual Production, etc.)

The film will contain some scenes where we look in the “inside world” of the main character (kind of similar to what was done in the animation movie “Inside Out” but in a more serious context and with real characters - therefore we need to create a more photoreal looking environment). Basically the shots will show to character’s heart like it was a planet floating in space and the character walking on it / interacting with it. So the action close to the surface won’t be a problem since the “heart planet” will be big.

But there is a shot where we need to show the whole “planet” from space (with kind of an atmosphere around it) and then having the camera fly onto to sufrace of the planet.

I already did some expermients with Sky Atmosphere, which is amazing also for the space view, but as far as I know it creates round /spheric planets.

So my question is, would anybody see an idea or approach inside UE like to achieve what I described? I.e. making a planet with a big surface (probably with landscape on it), but when you fly out it is not spheric but has a custom mesh and an atmosphere wrapping around it?

Thanks and blessings,

Kornelius