Possible to color correct green screen footage in Composure?

The ability to have Unreal Engine live composite your green screen footage straight from your camera to the 3D environment is a really unique and cool tool, and I like how it has extra features to handle things like foreground elements and lightwrapping with the CG background.

My concern when I try to search tutorials for Composure is that there’s a heavy implication you need to have significant lighting set-ups to match the lighting of your CG environment…while that’s not a huge issue, I am wondering…much like how in something like Adobe Premiere I can change the coloring of the live action footage to better match an environment or look like a different environment, could I do that with the green screen footage in Composure?

For example, say I want to make a virtual production where I am on Mars, but unfortunately I only have access to white lights and I want my footage to have that reddish glow to match the environment. Could I, in Composure, tell Unreal Engine to give the live action green footage a reddish tint?

Hello @Ajer0695 !

I’ve never worked with Composure before, but in Unreal you have the “Post Process Volume” which is a powerfull tool to make post process, including change the color of the scene and/or it’s temperature.

Maybe that’s what you’re looking for!

In the Place Actors Tab search “PostProcessVolume” and drag to your scene.

You’ll see that is a transparent block with a lot of options, there what are you looking is for the Color Grading category.

By default the Post Process Volume only affect the cameras what are inside the cube, so if you want just a few cameras to have the post you can scale it, but, if you want the whole scene with the post, there is an option called “Infinite Extent (Unbound)” for finding it I just write it in the search bar.
(It’s a long name I usually just write Bound, haha)

With that activated, try to change the temperature of your scene!

I’ll leave you a link to the documentation of Unreal.

I hope this helps you!

1 Like