Possible to change "user-specific settings" dir on unreal side, not windows side

Hi, If I startup UE 5.3.0 at 86 % I get the following Warning:

Warning: Low Drive Space
The following locations have limited free space. To avoid potential problems, please consider freeing up at least the amounts recommended below.

The current user directory, for saving user-specific settings:
//[netdrive]/home$/[USERNAME]/
Recommended: 1.024 MB
Free: 173 MB

The drive ist a user drive in the network where are the windows Downloads, Pictures, Videos and Music folders are stored. for me there is no option to change the folder through windows. also expanding the drive so that it gets more free space is not an option.
So I want to know if I can change the folder for “user-specific settings” on unreal side.
Until now I could not found anything about that.

I can skip this message by clicking ok, but the next time I start the editor the message comes again. Another strange thin is, if I look into the folder, there is nothing saved from unreal engine.

Were you able to resolve this? i’m seeing this too. Would appreciate knowing if you found a fix for it.

No, I am still waiting for a solution.

So this may not solve your problem exactly, but I noticed that a lot of (in fact the only) data that was unreal related I could find on my equivalent drive was the megascans library. You can change the location of where the megascans files are saved within the preferences of Quixel Bridge. Once you change the location, copy over the existing content to the new location. I haven’t seen any unreal-related disk space consumption (in the original location) since doing this.

Only really helps if you’re using Quixel Bridge though.

hi! im getting the same message. did you resolve this?

I took a look at the source code, but it looks like there’s no solution for this message unless you’re using a source build – there’s absolutely no customizability to it. It doesn’t load any config settings or anything to drive the check. In theory you might be able to hex edit the Unreal Editor binary or something to adjust the minimum disk space, but I would not recommend that.

This warning can appear for the user directory, the project directory, or the engine directory. If it’s the project or engine directory, you may be able to get past it by moving the project or engine to a different drive. However, for the user directory (and thus the original poster), there’s no such option. The only way to change it would be to change it in your operating system’s settings – Unreal defers to the operating system entirely with no configuration options.

If you do use a source build and want to adjust this, the code is in Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEd/Private/UnrealEdEngine.cpp. The relevant functions are conveniently right at the bottom of the file in the version I’m looking at – ValidateFreeDiskSpace and IsBelowFreeDiskSpaceLimit. It should be relatively simple to replace the message box with just a log message, for example.