Possible to add external path to Asset Editor?

I have a huge collection of assets of which I use only some in my actual project. I also have to edit my project on multiple computers.
Right now, I have all these assets in some folder “content/static” and check it into perforce and then get them through perforce on another computer, which is not very efficient.
Is there no way to add a folder to the Asset editor that is outside the “content” directory other than to link through the OS?
I would like to place the static assets on the network and then reference them from all connected machines without going through Perforce

You can either use enigine content directory (Enigne/Content) which allows to shadere assets over multiple project of same engine version or use symbolic links:

You can also enable perforce integration which might make things easier, it will let oyu operate perforce in editor:

I don’t think there other way

1 Like

Thanks, I would never have thought of that. Making a plugin is a bit complicated but moving the assets to the engine directory is easy. The only thing is, I have to keep the “show engine content” box ticked but that is a small price to pay for a huge gain.
Another plus is that Perforce will not try to add these assets since it’s outside my project workspace.
For anybody who stumbles over this here due to a similar situation: I created a directory hard link in the engine content directory to my real storage where the static assets are. The only extra step is then to re-create the link whenever a new engine version is released or on every machine I work with the project. I also put the Static directory in the “favorite” folder so I can access it easily.