Pose-able Skeletal Meshes In Unreal 5.3 VR

Hello!

I’m having trouble with this concept and can’t find many resources for it.

Essentially, my goal is to be able to import a skeletal mesh of a character and have my player be able to pose this skeletal mesh with the VR grab component. Unlike the classic ragdoll, I don’t want the skeletal mesh to simulate physics. I want the player to be able to pose the character mesh like a puppet.

I’ve tried adding a small static mesh with a grab component attached to it, linked to a parent socket on the skeletal mesh. I tried setting this up on the head and hands. The static mesh can be grabbed and moved, and does not affect the socket/bone whatsoever.

I’ve also tried just adding a grab component to the mesh altogether, but that doesn’t do anything, ahah.

Hoping for a little guidance on this one,

Thank you!

Hello, since posting this I’ve downloaded the VRE plugin and made some progress, but I’m pretty stuck at the moment.

Where I am right now:

-A poseable mesh is spawned into the level. For every bone, I spawn a grippable static mesh object named ‘PhysTest’ at every bone location. The PhysTest object is composed of two things, a stick and a ‘base’. The ‘base’ operates as the joint/pivot point that a physics constraint is attached to, so the grab stays constrained to the joint. The ‘stick’ is scaled dependent on the distance between the bone’s parent bone and the child bone. When I grab any of these objects, the transform is copied onto the correlated bone on the poseable mesh.

Problems:

-When I grab the phystest object, if the ‘stick’ part of the phystest is scaled down, it pops back to the original distance from the joint, effectively moving the actual bone away from the mesh itself. This is not the intended behaviour, as the ‘stick’ should stay in the same relative location to the joint before and after grabbing. I’ve tried looking at this as a resource but having a hard time implementing it: Get relative transform of hand to gripped object posted by anonymous | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine

Here’s a video displaying the behaviour as well as the BPs:

Any guidance whatsoever would be appreciated- even if it’s an entirely different approach!

Thank you!!