PopcornFX Plugin BETA

Great !

Well, texture compression loss is taking its toll, and Color intensity might be a little too high for UE, but you got it.

Also, I see the ParticleDeformBlur_01 thumbnail should be blueish (not greenish), it’s because UE has not recognized it as a normal texture. I added a troubleshooting about that here: UE4/Troubleshooting - PopcornFX

Are you going to put it on the market place now that they support plugins?

@_cDub, We got in contact with the Unreal Engine 4 team about the Market Place, but (for now ?!) only disclosed sources Plugins are handled.

For now, we distribute our closed source “pre-built” Plugin on our own. In the future, maybe the Market Place will welcome closed source Plugins, or maybe we will disclosed our sources…

That’s where This Form will help us decide what to do.

But it’s look like there is some problem about order of the texture, because in UE4 it looks deffer then in SDK. Distort effect shoud be over black hole texture. Any idea?

Hi Pr0t0Ss12,

It seems that you are talking about the billboards draw order ?

The PopcornFX runtime sorts billboards depending on their bounds and this determines the draw order.
Ideally, distortion billboards should be a post-process, hence they should always be drawn on top of every other billboard materials.

We thought about having a dedicated render target for the distortion billboards, and then apply a post-process on the scene texture, like in the PopcornFX Editor, but this would be too heavy to setup in UE4 and its rendering system doesn’t prone doing this kind of things.

However, we could in later versions of the plugin, draw every distortion billboards on top of every other PopcornFX geometry.

For now, a really simple thing you can do to ensure your distortion billboards are drawn on top of everything is setting your CParticleRenderer_Billboard’s DrawOrder to a higher value than the other ones (as in ZOrder in the UMG, this is like a “sort override”).

See “DrawOrder” for more information : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/CParticleRenderer_Billboard#Node_properties

Please don’t hesitate to use the PopcornFX Answer Hub to have a dedicated thread about these issues.

Hey,

Here is the release PopcornFX Plugin v0.5.3 built for UE 4.8.1 and UE 4.7.6.

This is free? Or is it coming to the UE4 Marketplace for a certain price? Either way I am sold haha, it looks brilliant!

Possible to get a status update on a plugin for UE4.9? 4.9 Is kind of a priority because it fixs some significant physics bugs.

We are working on getting the 0.5.4 on UE 4.9 with a few fixes. Should come around next week.

We are currently working hard on getting the Plugin next big version ready, with a lot of new improvements (performances and features) and with the future PopcornFX 1.9.0. Possibly Market Place too \o/. We hope to get everything ready (Plugin v0.6.0 and PopcornFX 1.9.0) by the end of September.

Sweet!! Looking forward to them.

Hey,

Here is the PopcornFX Plugin v0.5.5 patch

Includes a few crash fixes.
And builds for UE 4.8.3 and UE 4.9.0.

I am downloading now, cheers.

I cant package a game with popcornfx plugin to standalone client… for some reason

When I try to run UE4 with the PFX plugin, I get the following:

Running F:/atd/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe allthingsdie Development Win64 -project=“F:/atd/allthingsdie.uproject” -editorrecompile -progress -noubtmakefiles
WARNING: PopcornFX SDK not found, some build might fail
WARNING: PopcornFX SDK not found, some build might fail

Is this a known issue? I couldn’t find anything in troubleshooting or whatnot. This is preventing me from building the plugin successfully or getting into the editor.

Using a custom build of the engine based on 4.9.0 and using PopcornFX Plugin 0.5.5 with PopcornFX version 1.8.3.

I tried to comment out the “return true” that follows that warning and another line is displayed, but it never builds successfully.

Hi Trent,

This is an normal behavior for the BETA, the Plugin is pre-built, no source, no PopcornFX SDK is distributed. So, it means it can only works with the same UE4 version we with have built the Plugin with. So, for the 0.5.5, it will work with the right download (PopcornFX - PopcornFX) and UE 4.9.0, 4.9.1, or 4.8.3 from the UE4 Launcher. Also, it is only built for UE4Editor Win64 DebugGame/Development

UE4 Engine Source might not be compatible, it can work if the Sources are not too much modified and if the build version matches (UE4/Plugin installation - PopcornFX), but definitively not recommended.

However, we plan to release the next major version with the Plugin Sources and a basic PopcornFX SDK, so you will be able to compile with any UE4 version.

Oh, so it won’t work if I have a cloned copy of the repo that I keep and launch from Visual Studio? Because everything I have matches (I went through the installation/troubleshooting like five times) and I tried multiple versions of the plugin and am running Development Editor/Win64.

Well, honestly we did not test with cloned source lately, because there is really too much that can go wrong. If the UE build system detects anyhow that the PopcornFX Plugin must be recompile, yes, it will fail, and there is not much that can be done without the Plugin Sources.

The BETA version is free and only for testing purposes (with the UE4 Launcher Engine version). We hope to get the next major version ready next month, with a lot of changes (some breaking changes). So for now, I highly recommend to only “test” the Plugin. If you have already gone past “testing only”, contact us at “ue4 at popcornfx dot com” we’ll see what we can do.

I can not install the plugin PopCornFX a little video of explanation would be welcome, explanations on:
http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/UE4/Plugin_installation
are not very clear.

www.passion3d.com

Hi Jmeletou2014,

What is happening ? What did you tried ?

We planned to release some videos once we officially Release the Plugin. The Plugin might change till then, so we didn’t bother recording tutorials for the BETA.

I do not know what I’m doing wrong… I can’t import nothing ! Help me, please. -AM_B-BxyfA.jpg kOIQX6sZDBw.jpg