Poly-Poly Putt-Putt

Poly-Poly Putt-Putt is a game I’ve been working on in my spare time for a few months. It’s a fairly basic mini golf type of game with what I hope is a fairly unique and easy to learn control system.

You can play it on itch.io.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gSnvHAdqsew/Vt9-T_sl-CI/AAAAAAAAAME/YBb-t0RICzM/w1200-h750-no/HighresScreenshot00006.png

Looks great!

Very clean and gameplay seems quite obvious, hopefully you have a “tutorial” level or something similar to explain the controls.

I like it, well done.

Here’s a new video of the game, mostly I’ve been refactoring and creating things to make making future holes easier. Got a bit more player feedback in there too.

Any comments?

Looking great! I really like that you have implemented a mouse motion swing, infinitely better than an antiquated meter:).

I do have a couple questions.

1. How did you get around rolling physics issue in Unreal (ball never loses enough energy to come to a complete stop)? My guess is that polygonal grass blades are used to impact dampening.
  2. Was this created strictly via blueprints or did you have to dig into C++ source?

Again, great job and very much looking forward to playing a demo in the near future.

Looks great! Can I steal your “charge up arrow” BP :smiley:

Hey! I just put my first release up on itch.io

You can check it out here:

I look forward to getting some feedback on this as I have been playing with it in a bit of a vaccum for the last few months!

Looking good! I really like the clean look and the visual simplicity of aiming/power :slight_smile:

Sorry I completely missed this!

The ball rolling/stopping is greatly improved when you enable PCM in the project settings, also once the velocity of the ball gets below a certain threshold I decrease the angular and rotational velocity values until it reaches a lower threshold and then put it to sleep.

Game is made entirely in blueprints, I wouldn’t even know where to start in C++!

Well, I can tell you how to make it, that’s inordinately more valuable! Which aspect of it do you need help understanding? It’s basically a 2 triangles on top of each other, one to give the aimer and another for the power. The power bar is driven by a dissolve mask that reads from the rotation of the club in the -x direction.

Thanks! It’s hard to get excited about mini-golf but I really tried to push for a pleasant experience with those aspects!

Long overdue response. Thanks for pointing out the PCM option which Epic apparently added as a workaround “fix” to the infinite roll issue inherent with PhysX. Found a couple other related threads that noted PhysX does not accurately read rolling contact of a spherical object so glad Epic gave us this option. Combined with angular damping you can now get usable results.

Thanks again!

wish mini golf holes did that IRL

Hey hey, I know I am a bit late to the party on this but I would be forever grateful if you could give me some guidance on setting up this BP!
Cheers!