Point Cloud Plugin

Hello @

I have attached point clouds and trying to create a fly through video of it.

I managed to establish a camera path. But when it comes to ‘Render this movie to a video, or image frame sequence’, it produced a video with 30s duration but only 1 frame.

Any suggestions?

Hi there.

Unfortunately, I have limited expertise when it comes to using sequencer :slight_smile: This question would probably be more suited for one of these forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/cinematics

Alternatively, have a look at this link: How to Make Movies in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,

This is such a great work!

I am very interested in running this plugin running on Linux. Can you provide any time estimate of when it is going to be available for the Linux platform?

Also, if it is a minor change to make it work on Linux, I can modify the code myself, just give me some pointers :slight_smile:

Furthermore, if any older version of the plugin is working with Linux, please point me to that version.

Hi there, and thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

Support for Linux and Mac should be coming with the next version - along with the 4.25 release :slight_smile:

iOS support soon? :wink:

Haha, mobiles are not on the immediate roadmap :wink:

Hi. Thank you for making this brilliant little thing. Do you have any potential dates in mind for the Mac version? I am aiming to incorporate this within an architecture course I will be teaching next month and most of the students seem to be using Macs. I would appreciate your reply, so I can make some plans.

-Asad.

Hi there and thank you for the feedback!

The version bundled with 4.25 should be compatible with Mac and Linux - please give it a try and let me know if it’s not :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone! :smiley:
Firstly, Big Thanks for this great plugin! :smiley:

I have a question. Is there a way to snap a line to the point? In my “game” I want to player will be able to draw lines between 2 points.

I’ve tried to make collisions, but it’s not so accurate as I want to be, because it’s snapping to the triangle between 3 points, depending where player clicked.

Thank you guys for help! :smiley:

Hi @anonymous_user_01ee1407

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

I think the best option would be to use a function LineTraceSingle, which will return the first point hit by a ray.
You would drive the origin and direction parameters by deprojecting mouse position into world space and tweak the radius parameter to get good results for detection (too high and you’ll get incorrect selections, too low and it’ll be very difficult to select).

Collision mesh could work but will require much tighter accuracy (you would need to bring the Collision Accuracy parameter down, I suggest enabling collision preview to see how much room you have)

Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve been using Keijiro’s PCX plugin in Unity with the VFX graph to animate the points - https://twitter.com/_kzr/status/1101395833541414912

Is it possible to do something similar with this plugin and Niagara?

Also, is there an update coming for the Lidar Point Cloud Sample project? I’m on a Mac and 4.25 crashes when I import the current version on the store for 4.24.

Thanks!

Hi @cpkcpk1,

There isn’t any built-in way to animate the data at this point, but we are exploring options :slight_smile:

Thanks for the crash report - we will update the files as soon as we can!

Great, thanks a lot. Look forward to trying the sample project and seeing what animation options come in the future!

Thanks @ !!! :smiley:

I’ve been working on it all day (I’m a beginner), but I’ve managed :smiley:

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:
Glad you got it working

Hi guys!

Do you know how to create a collision mesh based on the points? As said on v4.25 features, it should be possible, but I can’t find the option: “Create a collision mesh from the point data.”

I will need too to make a kind of overlapping actors between point cloud and other blueprints colliders, is it possible?

Thank you!!

Hi Miguel,

The PC collision mesh should behave just as the complex collision of a Static Mesh - so the overlaps should definitely be possible!

Once you import your cloud, open it by double-clicking on the asset icon in the Content Browser.
From there, you should have:

Hi,
I am late to this party. But how do I install it in the Unreal Engine built from source ? On Epic launcher it only shows available to install in an installed Engine ! Where is the git repo for source code of this plugin?

Thanks.

Hi!

If you’re on 4.25, it’s already embedded with the engine - in Engine\Plugins\Enterprise\LidarPointCloud
If not, PM me with the version you need and I’ll try to find you a copy :slight_smile: