[Plugin] Project Exodus - Unity to unreal scene converter

I saw that the last entries in github are some years old. However, the time for such a conversion tool is - in my opinion now the best, because since the release of UE5 many devs want to migrate to UE5. I myself struggle, because I have to migrate 300GB of little kitbash assets to UE5, without having to do this with a lot of effort and awkwardness. Especially when it comes to not let unreal combine all meshes, to retain the same folder and file structure, as you created it in Unity. Important when you over 40.000 meshes. The way UE5 import things is horrible. No structuring. Exploding objects, or combining it into once O_O = kitbashing not possible, instead of getting the many objects from that one FBX into a already prepared UE5 Object, automatically, by also generating the materials from the FBX and map them - automatcially? And then being able to import whole folder structures like that? No one thinks of that! I would need six month’s by controling, checking, moving, folder creating - in the end re-creating the whole structure. After that I jump out the window.
The engine atm acts like you would start always from scratch. How many games could be ported easily would it be smart in mass-migrating?!

I would love to see Project Exodus for both engines to be updated and maybe enhanced to something that blows everyone away? I can guarantee, a lot of users would notice such peace and finally make their jump. Because the rest of UE5 and how it handles everything is awesome! You are only stuck when you need to migrate massive assets, divided into many folders, where they should be stored.

Hello,here’s my fork:GitHub - bladesero/ProjectExodus: Project Exodus - Unity to Unreal scene/project transfer tool.
Recently I’m update api to UE5 and convert my scene is fine.I want to make it compatible with URP and HDRP if I have time.

3 Likes

Does it already work with latest Unity with built-in and UE5? Or, will built in be supported too? I mean it’s about PBR textures, nothing more. Having the assets in UE5 would be enough. But how about the folder structure from Unity to Unreal? All the order that is needed to migrate real projects and not just so sample tests.

Hi there!
Extensive user of ExodusExport here… nice to meet you all!

for some reason since I updated to UE5 the exporter is not compiling anymore
I tried to roll-back but I didn’t have much success sadly.
Now I’m stuck with the prior UE version (where the plugins was working flawlessly before) but now without being able to compile a blank project because some weird reason.

Could you please tell me which UE + VS version are you using and (if possible) which packages you included in your VS installation?

I suspect that it has something to do with that…

I got the Unity scene working on UE5.1 thanks to blade0 fork (previously I only had it running on UE4.26)!

Here are the steps on UE side that I took, it may be helpful to someone:

1. I made sure Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition was installed.
  2. Downloaded the GitHub Project Exodus.
  3. Made a blank UE 4.26 project.
  4. Created a Plugins folder in project directory and copied the ProjectExodus content from GitHub into it.
  5. Ran the project as UE 4.26 version.
  6. In Plugins enabled ProjectExodus and restarted the project.
  7. After compilation was done and editor initialized, the ProjectExodus button had appeared in the top toolbar, so then I proceeded to import the Unity scene.
  8. On UE5.1 performed the same steps as for UE4.26 to install ProjectExodus with blade0 fork.
  9. Copied the UE4.26 project Import folder with all its imported contents (this is found in project Content folder) to a new project created in version UE5.1.
  10. Tested if it works and got pleasantly surprised it did.

Hope it helps someone.

1 Like

Thanks a lot FV_design!!
(and sorry for the late reply)

I will try it along this week :smiley:
thanks again!

Hi ! I tried following your method but couldn’t go all the way.

First of all I could only use the original import folder from NegInfinity for my UE 4.26 project. And then I was able to import my scene from unity.
But then when I tried to do the same stuff for UE5, adding ExodusImport from Blade0’s fork : My project couldn’t compile.

Would be great to have your insight on this, thanks.

Hi
I am in UE 5.2 and discovered that your project needs the C++ sources. I created a new project setting it as C++ for the default.

Please try that.

Last update on github is three years ago! Fighting with something to get it working is not a solution!

I did get exodus to work in unity, i forget what version but i think its a recent one mabey 2020.3.25 or 2018.4.13 and yes it worked to export it and i got 6 GIG of files but there is no way of importing it in unreal engine as the plugin doesnt work. I did find a component/blueprint which seems to do that very thing but it may be engineered wrong its called something like JSON ‘‘Levels’’ or something searchable like that on unreal engine marketplace. It might need re-engineering to work for this purpose but it seems to have many JSON files in it so it might if i work it out. I have unreal engine up to 4.??, 5…??

my problem in unreal engine is Visual Studios 2017 doesnt autoinstall, so i have no idea what to do then,next.

It typical of microsoft software to be the bottleneck every time like using Android Software and building for it, its just isnt ever working, also i think that any type of windows/android literelly needs too many things to work it should be refined to work better.

Hello everyone. is this working with Unreal 5.3.2 ?
THX.