[Plugin] OSC for UE4

I agree that the input feature does not work as good as I hoped so… I ended up not using it today.
Still, as it is the way to go in some cases (like yours), I’ll try to better understand what happens with inputs in the [0, 1] range.
Stay tuned…

I do not see anything wrong here, except it could be more simple:

• drop the “sequence” node
  • use a single “switch on name” node, with two outputs (both “/nano 2s” and “/voz”)

The “pop float” nodes are called only if a white connection that use them is activated. It makes totally sense to connect several of them the way you do it.

What is Osc?

http://opensoundcontrol.org/introduction-osc

Simple and widespread.

Hello!
I’m using this plugin with 4.8 and it behaves pretty strangely: when i’m running my game in editor everything works fine i can receive and send osc messages and the port for receiving is taken by UE4. however when i run it standalone or packaged UE4 doesn’t even take the receiving port and doesn’t send messages either, it doesn’t work even when the editor is closed. what can i mess up? I’ve read the post of the guy who had similar problem but what he suggested didn’t fix it for me.

4.9 version ETA? monsieur gustav maybe you could post a little tutorial on how to update to new version? Thanks!

Hi,
I didn’t know it does not work on 4.9 (I’m not using it yet).
For those requests, I suggest to post an issue on the Github, because it is easier for me to know what’s left to do.
Anyway, I’ll try to do it soon.

I cannot really post a tutorial to port to new version, because it changes all the time!
Generally, the API simply changed, so I have to adapt.

If you want to help, you can try to port it yourself (generally, it is not that hard) and let me know about your fix.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Anyone have a quick dirty tutorial for this?

Using 4.8 and Windows 10

I’m trying to get OSC from MaxMSP to UE4 but UE4 doesn’t seem to be taking any data. OSC data monitor confirms that I have OSC data coming out of port 8000 from MAX and I’ve set the port to 8000 in the plugin settings in UE4 but I cannot get anything to print.

Hey reedandrader, this is victor :slight_smile:

A couple of things, look at the blueprint example I wrote few posts up… i think you need a switch with the the address you are sending from max and a pop string node coming from the data output of the osc node. Also you have to close the osc monitor app for UE4 to see the the data coming from max, for some reason, the data is not broadcasted to every program, at least in windows. Try that. If not shoot me an email, and maybe I can get it working for you… this plugin works really well indeed. :smiley:

Hi,

Actually, you don’t really need to add a switch and/or read the incoming data.
The setup you sent should work: it prints “Hello” for every received OSC message.

I’m concerned about the name of the received event though: “OnOscReceived_Copy” doesn’t look right.
Remember you must either add a OscReceiverComponent to your actor or inherit OscReceiverActor (that one is easier to start with).
Then, you should have the OnOscReceived event in the nodes drop-down.
You cannot copy/paste it from somewhere else (or you must do additional work, binding the event, stuff like that)

I also back catalejo: no other application should listen the same port. (it is not a Windows thing)
In the editor, UE4-OSC listen the port at “play in the editor”. At that moment, the port must be free.
Look at the logs, the plugin informs you if anything goes wrong.

If it doesn’t work, try to change the port: maybe some application you don’t know is bound to that one.

Good luck
Guillaume

Hi Victor! ::WAVES::

“OnOscReceived_Copy” was the problem. That and for the input port in UE4’s OSC settings I had to put the entire ip address and the port to get osc data to come in.

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten this working as a standalone game? Only works in editor for me.

anyone using this with 4.9?

Yeah, works just like 4.8 for me.

Hi

My idea is make two apps one that run on the pc and the other one in the handheld system (iOS or android) and both communicate bewteen each other through OSC

protocol.

I don´t have much experience nor knowledge in programming and the problem is that I´m not able to make those apps communicate. The only thing I was able to do was

use the touchosc app with the pc.

I´m sending some screeshots, maybe you can give me a hand with this.

3335de597a3f2656e316bcbd2e7cd4f5e4f05408.jpegd657b5921038af112707bd25378766f56ea88a2b.jpegbd2dce7da1f8369c425c67589853c796c6670564.jpegd4b9b9f5751fd342ee215b96f5b812b067b29d18.jpeg14c260d84c0a7c2336dbe04d92081f83ff686f99.jpeg

As far as I can tell, your blueprints look good.

I think your issue is that your send address is , which mean “myself”.
So the Android is sending to itself, not the PC.

When a network communication does not work, try to break your problem into many sub problems with tools you know are reliable.
Example : use TouchOSC on Android to send messages, use an OSC monitor software on Windows to test the receiving part (there might be a firewall, a misconfiguration), etc.

Thanks! I´m using the TouchOSC on Android and it´s working. Also the OSC monitor works fine. The problem is in the app I´m doing in Android that doesn´t seem to connect with the PC. I changed the IP but it still doesn´t work. I´m thinking that maybe the problem is the Android permits but I´m not sure. Do you have another idea about what else might be messing up with the communication would be of much help

Did you click “set as default” in the OSC plugin settings ?
That’s a tricky thing: unless you click “set as default”, the settings are ignored by the build.

Also, know that you’re (one of) the first person to use the plugin on Android ! :slight_smile:
I failed to set-up an Android dev env (maybe because if my out of date device), so I can’t really help you on any Android specific problem.
If you can “remote debug” the OSC plugin (put a breakpoint in the C++ “SendOsc” function) it should be OK.

Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci Merci !!!

Your plugin is just fantastic. It’s really nice of you to keep it up to date. Please keep up the good work :wink:

I tried using it with 4.10.1 and my it would work but really unreliably… meaning sometime it would crash. Sometime not. But as I have a really minimal knowledge of programming I am not sure the problem was your plugin. Actually pretty sure it was not. Here is my post about my crash. I might be helpful…

So for now I got back to 4.7.

Still thank you so much. Please keep supporting it :wink:

Glad you like it !

I had a look at your crash log, and they seem unrelated to the OSC plugin.
If they are actually related, feel free to post an issue on the GitHub !