The official Leap Motion plugin for the Unreal Engine 4.
You can use convenience blueprints to just select and play or use a custom approach via blueprints or C++. See relevant sections in GitHub - leapmotion/LeapUnreal: Leap Motion SDK for the Unreal Engine. for details.
NB: Only supports Windows 64 & 32
Engine (4.11-4.18) - It’s already in the engine, just enable and restart!
0.9.9 for UE4.10 / Leap SDK 2.3.1 - Mac Binaries synced to 4.10
Documentation & Support
Leap Plugin Documentation - GitHub - leapmotion/LeapUnreal: Leap Motion SDK for the Unreal Engine.
Examples - GitHub - leapmotion/LeapUnrealModules: Leap Motion Unreal modules and example content.
Anything not covered in the documentation or examples is best asked at https://forums.leapmotion.com/
Github - Main Plugin Source and Documentation
Leap Motion C API documentation - For C++ programmers who want finer control
Leap Community UE4 Plugin Thread - Old leap motion forum thread for v2 plugin
**How to Use
Latest changes available at: Releases · leapmotion/LeapUnreal · GitHub
-* Switching off leap service should no longer crash on exit
- Ensure project plugin overrides old LeapC.dll
- Updates and fixes for epic engine code
- Switched to Async module for threading
- Update internal API string to 4.0
- Track motion controllers in bodystate, add custom device tag filters for selective animation consumption
- Add support for Leap Image API from v4 SDK, events available from leap component. Requires setting appropriate policy
- Add fix for #4](Crashing for Unreal 4.19.2 · Issue #4 · leapmotion/LeapUnreal · GitHub) using scope locks
- First LeapUnreal release
- Updated Leap SDK to v4.0 with improved tracking
- Compile fixes for 4.19. Uses new IXRTrackingSystem
- Now works as both engine and project plugin. Will auto-detect environment and adjust dependencies.
- Engine plugin requires IWYU only. All includes changed to this preference.
- BS Confidence value fixes for 4.0 sdk, will work for 3.2 as well
- misc fixes and doc changes
- Added BodyStateBone Component. Similar to Motion Controller components, but it will track any body state bone from a drop down list.
- Added BodyStateEstimator Component, which allows merging and updating skeleton data in a separate component which gets fed into the final merged skeleton. Useful for estimating body positions from incomplete data.
- Fixed position offsets not being overwritten when using default tracking modes
- Fixed compile warning for packaged builds
- added log forwarding from leap service
- enabled hot-restarting the leap service
- added more verbose logging for problem states
- Fixed and added auto-rigging for much wider mesh setups. See https://github.com/getnamo/leap-ue4-…custom-rigging for documentation.
- Exposed global position and rotation offsets used to bring alignment 1:1
- Fixed #28
- Fixed #31
- Added #30
- Fixed #29
- Compile fixes for 4.18
- Compile fixes for 4.17
- Fixed bodystate for packaged game
- Added finger extension state to BSFinger
- Default rigging set to bodystate low poly
- significant changes to body state anim graph collapsing all blueprint code into a single node using a mapped data structure
- body state skeleton auto-set on animation start
- first pass at auto-mapping arbitrary bones to bodystate bones.
- editor friendly method to adjust auto-mapped results in defaults, allowing for easy fine tuning
- hand rigging now deforms to match your tracked data
- time warp updates to sync with newly deformed hands due to now using bone positions
- Renamed module from LeapMotionC to LeapMotion, issue #19
- Misc body state offset fixes to sync behavior with low poly direct rigging
- Compile fixes for 4.16
- Compile fixes for #16
- Updated documentation
- Merged as b46ad8d
- Oculus Timewarp fixes, the platform should have good and stable timewarp default settings
- Three mode tracking optional settings allowing the choice of whether you want low latency, smooth, or balanced tracking
- All Leap settings and options as a FLeapOptions struct for more finer grained control available globally
- Added FLeapStats for polling information about frame extrapolation and device details, also available globally
- Working timewarp implementation
- Leap frame interpolation and extrapolation added
- Default settings to extrapolate to current gamethread time + 5.5ms TW
- More optimization settings have been exposed
- Profiling cycle counters added
- Fixes and tweaks
-First Pre-Release with proper packaging support.
2.0 - 2.4
-Internal development builds
-Integrated directly in 4.11 engine
-Added Image Hands
-Added Component Hands
-Thorough code commenting
-Automatic packaged support
-Added convenience LeapFloatingHandsCharacter
-Updated Mac binary for 4.10
-Updated binaries to UE4.10
-Fixed packaging for 4.9.2
-Added EnableBackgroundTracking toggle on LeapController allowing you to
track when the window isn’t focused
-Updated Echo hands to hide when not being tracked, idle
animations for Echo hands have been removed. Use
LeapEchoHandsRiggedCharacter for a rigged mesh hand without attached
body, use the collision variant for physics enabled version.
-Binaries synced with UE 4.9
-Leap SDK synced with 2.3.1
-Added Echo convenience hands (rigged floating hands)
-Updated binaries to UE4.8
-Updated Leap SDK to 2.2.6
-Added LeapCollisionCharacter which adds physics collision enabled by
default. This can be enabled for other setups by using the PhysicsActor
-Updated PhysicsAsset used for collision
-Removed old content
-Fixed SphereRadius property link found on LeapHand
-Mac Binaries compiled for UE 4.7
-Leap SDK, libs and dlls updated for SDK 2.2.4
-Cleaned up inheritence structure, LeapAnimBodyActor renamed to
LeapAnimBodyConnector. Added Passthrough sub-class
-LeapPassthroughCharacter now contains the subclass. Rigged characters
contain no passthrough code
-Fixed elbow rotation bug
-Added properly HMD warped image passthrough support through both
materials and a convenience character (LeapPassthrougCharacter)
-128bit texture support resolved for Distortion textures. Use Distortion
for proper float data, use DistortioUE to visualize the texture for
-Optional content moved into plugin, delete if you don’t use it and wish
to save space
-Rigging update to be more loosely coupled. Character anim blueprint
only depends on AnimBody obtained through a simple and safe
-Rigged character finger rotation bug fixed
-Updated leap bind to 2.2.3, much improved tracking gained.
-Added R->Reset position to rigged characters, change key bind to
reflect own bindings
-Now supports Mac OSX
-Fixed Finger->Hand crash on exit
-Update to Leap SDK 2.2.1
-Now supports UE 4.6
-Fixed Memory leaks which would cause crash around 60second mark (GC
interval) for list-based objects using extended and append
-Added appendTools and appendFingers to pointableList
-LeapFrame got its API updated to include all of the missing functions,
should now reflect the leap api nearly completely (except 64bit values
in blueprint that are not supported)
-Added log entry with plugin version at game start for easier debugging
-Basic Rigged leap character added. Works like the LeapDebugCharacter,
change your player controller to VRPlayercontroller and pawn to
-Updated bind to Leap SDK 2.2.0
-Ensured consistency by prepending leap to all classes, this will likely
break compatibility with old blueprints.
-Fixed dynamic object allocation architecture
-Added basic AnimBody, Hand, Finger, and Bone for convenient animation
state and basis conversion.
-You can now check which finger you have by dragging out the Type
property from Finger.
-Added a convenience Leap Debug Hand actor, allowing for easy display of
-Added a convenience Leap Debug Character which is set up to show debug
hands in both HMD and Default mode. Simply toggle your hmd (alt+enter)
to test HMD mode.
-added Input Mapping support for pinch grab and palm orientation for
each hand. See documentation for details
-added PalmOrientation convenience function to Leap Hand. Origin is
defined as palm flat facing down, fingers pointing away.
-Update to Leap SDK 2.1.6. Includes changes from leap
-If you tick auto-shift on hmd, this will automatically add the
eye->leapmount offset (8cm default value). Your vr hands should now be
-Added Hand Type enum to Hand and relevant gestures. You can now easily
switch the hand type instead of checking isLeft/Right to reduce bp
-Added Leap Plugin Direction (Cardinal Direction) to gestures which
emit directions (Screen Tap, Key Tap, and Swipe). This is a convenience
property which will allow you to easily switch the property to get basic
swipe left/right/up/down/towards/away detection. If you need a more
precise direction, use the direction vector.
-Added Raw Image events which give much cleaner support and memory
efficient toggling of streaming images from the device.
-Multiple components are now properly supported. Reason for error was
mismanaged GC of on-demand UObject subclasses. Plugin will still emit
multi-component warning for performance reasons (redundancy/duplication).
-All logging switched to LeapPluginLog sub-category
-At the moment multiple components cause a crash after 40-60sec of
detecting a hand/finger, until this error is resolved, the plugin will
output a warning to your logs if you add more than one total leap
-Normalized vectors such as palm normal were not properly adjusted for
HMD view direction, this is has now been fixed.
-palm normal scaling fixed.
-Circle gesture radius now in UE scale
-Swipe Gesture speed now in UE scale
-Hidden Leap header and private implementation from UClasses
-Fixed image stability, will now correctly resize when requested.
-R8 texture no longer causes memory leaks
-Added Gesture sub-classes and corresponding events (e.g. Swipe Gesture
Detected). Will allow for easy determination of direction and other
properties of gestures. You can also cast general gesture detection to
the correct sub-class gesture.
-Added own category of logging, pay attention to log output to help you
with debugging errors.
-Added full support for Image API! see post or github readme for an example use case.
-Fixed a lot of memory leaks, should have no more memory leaks and purr like a kitten.
-Fixed lack of categorization caused by previous updates in some of the blueprints classes
-Cleaned up a lot of the blueprint functions, turning all the relevant
ones into properties. This will reduce the number of execution pins.
-Things which return a new object generally remain a function for
potential performance reasons
-Changed plugin to runtime to support shipping builds
-See the github readme for shipping/packaging instructions.
-Updated to UE4.5
-Removed the need to SetInterfaceDelegate! Just adding the Component and
adding the LeapEventInterface is enough.
-Added Image policy flag support, actual image handling is still not
working at this time. You can query about image dimension and other
stats, just not the raw image.
-OptimizeForHMD now contains 2 more booleans, one for auto rotation
adjustment and one for auto position adjustment. Setting all three to
enabled will make your reported leap positions automatically adjust for
your head position and look direction. VR easy mode enabled!
-Setting policy to optimize for hmd will automatically rotate position
-Fixed pinch detection stability, grabbing will now override pinching
-Changed event names to better reflect their purpose
-Added gesture event, set gesture support at startup to receive this
-Added polling data for: interaction box, pointables, gestures, images
-Added Event Driven architecture, Add LeapEventInterface to your
blueprint class and call LeapController->SetDelegate(self). Your class
will now receive leap events.
-Added Arm support, please see official leap documentation for reference
-Plugin now automatically converts leap space position data to UE space
data including scale (mm->cm)
-Added support for HMD Optimized tracking (also known as top down
tracking). Set OptimizeForHMD(true) on your LeapController.
-Updated to Leap SDK 2.1.5+22693
-Enabled getting finger data. Use Hand->Fingers
-compile fixes and updated to UE4.4