[plugin] Freetrack

I’m not sure how to make it work, Could you explain the steps one more time?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, I actually got it but not correct version.

Hi @moookiexl !

Do you think I could get TrackIR working with this? Never used Freetrack myself.
Was looking for TrackIR support but it seams there are some legal implications of using their SDK.

I don’t know, I don’t have TrackIR. Someone on Youtube mentioned GlovePIE could be used to convert TrackIR data to FreeTrack.
And yes, they don’t just give TrackIR SDK to anyone, and certainly not for an open source plugin :frowning:

Ohh, I remember that tool!

Yeah, it’s a bit sad. From what I understood they have anti-competition agreement with their SDK, which in modern can clash with a lot of VR hardware, not only with FreeTrack or OpenTrack as it was in past. I just don’t see a good reason to sign any agreement with them which would legally lock me into not using anything but TrackIR just because other devices can do similar functions. Was their happy customer for almost 10 years, so this is just sad.

Thank you for this plugin! I’ll try it with GlovePIE.

Ok, been awhile since I posted on your youtube video, but I finally got around to using the plugin with FreePIE and trackIR 5. Using this python script I was able to emulate all FreeTrack input using my trackIR (except for the “enabled” state):

def update():
    freeTrack.yaw = trackIR.yaw
    freeTrack.pitch = trackIR.pitch
    freeTrack.roll = trackIR.roll

freeTrack.x = trackIR.x
    freeTrack.y = trackIR.y
    freeTrack.z = trackIR.z

if starting:
    trackIR.update += update

Very handy workaround for using trackIR without signing your life away on a SDK.

Hi moookiexl, I had the same problem as Salina_Energy, I try to find my plugin folder on muy Project, but I don´t have it… any suggestion?

The plugin’s not working for me in UE4.14

“missing or incompatible modules in freetrack plugin”

Any chance you could post an updated compiled version? :slight_smile:

Same here.

“missing or incompatible modules in freetrack plugin”

It’d be good if someone could post the steps to get this to work so people can fix it when it doesn’t.

Have tried with 4.13,4.14 & 4.15

Thanks

I tried it with 4.15, it compiles fine.

I can post binaries if you like, but no guarantee that it will actually work, i’d have to put together my freetrack rig again and that would take me a while, since i don’t even know where all the parts are :smiley:

EDIT: freetrack_415.zip - Google Drive here

Hi, thanks for the reply. I’m downloading what you’ve sent.

My boss has bought a TrackHat thingy and has essentially said to get it working with Unreal. The TrackHat people say it’s possible to get the TrackIR protocol to work with Unreal but I have no idea how and haven’t heard back from them when asking for advice.

Here’s what I’ve been doing. Maybe I’ve been doing it wrong…

I have 4.13.2, 4.14.3 & 4.15.0.

I downloaded your ‘freetrack_4_10’ version.

I tried putting the ‘freetrack’ folder in the following folders

4.13.2 & 1.14.3
Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Plugins

Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Plugins

When loading Unreal (for any version) > Plugins > I can Enable freetrack and need to restart.

When restarting I get these:

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/otuama/001_2.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww40/otuama/002.jpg

Should I be including FreeTrackClient.dll & FreeTrackClient64.dll in the program files folder or are these just for when something is packaged?

Am I supposed to be doing something else too? I’ve tried talking nicely to it but that’s not working.

I hope you can help with this because I’m a bit stumped.

Thanks again,

Try copying it to WhateverProject/Plugins/Freetrack instead of into engine.
And 4.10 version didn’t work because binaries were compiled for UE 4.10 - it works only with that exact version of the engine, unless you rebuild it yourself (with VC++ or other C++ compiler). The new ones I posted in previous comment are for UE 4.15

Freetrack_418.zip - Google Drive here’s UE 4.18 build of the plugin.

I’d also like to ask for someone to take over this project. I no longer have any hardware to test it with.

is there any tutorial step by step?
i dont know which blueprint you wrote on and other detail settings

I’m trying to use this in my research. I’m copy plugins folder into the project folder and restart after activate the plugin in project. after reopen to project the “Binaries not found …” dialog appear do you have any suggestion ? what i’m doing wrong?

I’m using UE 4.18.3 with 4.18 plugin and freetrack 2.2

You may need to recompile the plugin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtfLfYY_k2Y

Thank you Sorry I missed the previous post that you mension about recomplie before

The plugin no longer works under 4.20+ due to changes made to UE4’s underlying codebase. Is there a way the plugin could be adapted and updated for modern use?

Hi, I am just sticking my nose into UE hoping to find a way for small scale Mandalorian-style virtual production… Using Opentrack + Aruco markers to control the virtual camera motion would be just awesome and obviously to good to be true. :-/
I have tried several versions from 4.12 to 4.18.3 and recompiling the according plugins with no success, also on the recompiling part using the “RunUAT.bat” method suggested in the video.
I am on Windows 10 64bit, by the way.

If someone could point me in the right direction how to make this work with any of the versions mentioned above (or even 4.26) this would be awesome.

Hello everyone Compiled the plugin for UE version 4.26.2.
You can download it from the link: freetrack.rar - Google Drive

1 Like

Made a plugin for TrackIR.