Plugin dependencies in binary directory sometimes prevent packaging of project

I have made a simple plugin that I’m using to test Steamworks functionality (I can’t use the Unreal Online Subsystem Steam plugin for what I want to do). For Steamworks to work, it needs the steam_api64.dll file to be visible to the application, so I’ve set up my plugin’s Build.cs file to copy the DLL where it needs to be:

string coreLibName = "steam_api64.dll";
RuntimeDependencies.Add(Path.Combine("$(BinaryOutputDir)", coreLibName), Path.Combine(redistDeps, "win64", coreLibName));

This seems to work fine, and I can run my test project and use the Steamworks SDK.

However, when I try to package the project, the packaging process is sometimes unable to clean the contents of the Binaries directory, because the steam_api64.dll file is in use by the editor. This doesn’t seem to happen all the time, but happens enough to be annoying.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):     Running UnrealHeaderTool "C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\ShooterGame.uproject" "C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\Intermediate\Build\Win64\ShooterClient\Development\ShooterClient.uhtmani
fest" -LogCmds="loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error" -Unattended -WarningsAsErrors
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Reflection code generated for ShooterClient in 88.1578486 seconds
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Writing manifest to C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Manifest.xml
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Failed to delete file 'C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\steam_api64.dll'
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Exception: Access to the path 'C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\steam_api64.dll' is denied.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Attempting to retry...
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Failed to delete file 'C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\steam_api64.dll'
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):       Exception: Access to the path 'C:\path\to\my\project\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\steam_api64.dll' is denied.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Attempting to retry...
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   ERROR: Exhausted all retries!
PackagingResults: Error: Exhausted all retries!

Is this the correct way to deal with this type of dependency? Do I need to change some of my plugin configuration to avoid the Unreal Editor grabbing hold of the Steam DLL when it’s not supposed to?

Hi X6Herbius, did you end up finding a solution? I’m in the very same situation right now. Thanks.

Nope, not yet. I’ve just fallen back to deleting all my binary/build directories before I package. Not ideal, but it’s the only way I can continue to work right now.

If you havent figured it out yet (for me at lest) you need to right click on the folder that has those files in it and UN CLICK READ ONLY to make that box empty then click apply and build your solution.

If you havent figured it out yet (for me at lest) you need to right click on the folder that has those files in it and UN CLICK READ ONLY to make that box empty then click apply and build your solution.