[PLUGIN] Blinken, Ping, XMPPChat, ExtraConfig, etc from Descendent Studios

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce our open source initiative here at Descendent Studios!

We use open source in the development of Descent: Underground, so we wanted to give something back to the development community by making some of the code we’ve created available.

You can find Descendent Studios’ open source and available source development at: DescendentStudios (Descendent Studios) · GitHub

Our projects include:

1. BlinkenPlugin, a plugin for Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) that controls accessory lighting like Razer Chroma, Alienware AlienFX, and Logitech G from both C++ and Blueprint.
  2. PingPlugin, a UE4 plugin that allows ICMP pinging of hosts from Blueprint so UIs can display ping times.
  3. XMPPChatPlugin, a UE4 plugin to use XMPP chat (think Jabber) via Blueprint so in-game chat systems can be implemented more easily.
  4. ExtraConfigPlugin, a UE4 plugin to manipulate input and graphics configuration from Blueprint so configuration UIs can be implemented more efficiently.
  5. Our contributions (additions and fixes) to several existing open source projects like OSVR-Unreal, nodervisor, discord-xmpp, and others.

We hope the development community finds these projects useful - we’d love to hear if you use them! And if you improve them, please submit a pull request to us as we’d be very excited to continue development together with the community. We also hope to add more projects in the future.

Thanks!
-Jason

(Also posted at https://descendentstudios.com/community/blog/7/entry-355-open-source-at-descendent-studios/ )

Very cool, will check out the repositories :slight_smile:

Thank you! Unfortunately I can’t follow the development of D:U as much as I want (work is killing me), but this is great to see. I really like that philosophy and although I haven’t had time to play a single build yet, I feel good about having backed.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the awesome ping plugin! I’m going to use it with the Cardinal Menu System (free multiplayer game menu) to fetch the pings from listen servers on Steam. I have it working in UE4.13 without issues on our in house project but it won’t compile on the new engine version. I tried the launcher and source versions of the engine. I’d take a look at it myself but I figured you all have a lot better idea of what is going on with the code.

I posted the same thing on the github page under issues. I imagine it will be addressed there. I checked out your game. Looks pretty cool. If I get some freetime I’ll try it out :slight_smile:

Here’s a picture of the Steam server browser pings working in UE4.13 - I’ll release it in the Cardinal Menu System if I can get it working in UE4.14

Hi PingPlugin update for 4.14 version ?

i try this on 4.27 and it didn’t work – can u update plz ?