Please help me MIGRATE a project to an empty project

Hello,

For some reason my .exe is way havier than it has to be. I am trying to fix it by migrating a map to a new project.

This is how I do it:

This is a high res of the image:

Please let me know how do I have to migrate this map correctly to get rid of all unnesesary assets to make the wheight smaller and to not get any errors.

Thank you.
Alex

Hello!

Why dont you simply delete unnecessary assets in your project? Keep in mind that the .exe export does not contain the unused assets in the project folder, so even if you migrate it i think nothing will change at all

Yeah, but for some mysterious reason, I have just checked it, I deleted all 3D objects in the game (not the assets in the content drawer, but from the Outliner/Map itself) and packed it to an .exe and the file was 13 GB. Maybe you have a clue, how is it possible and how should I fix it?

Do you by any chance using brush shapes instead of static mesh?

I see from your screen that it seems to be a wide area, i think that it is reasonable to be a big exe.

I am working on psycological horror for example. It jas just 2 small environment, a house and a underground cave. It is around 7gb exported. And we are talking of 2 small areas :grin:

To make further checks, you can just delete half of the map and export again. If the size became half, i think you get your answer! :smiley:

Okay, I’ll try to delete a half of the map now. Thank you for the tip! I’ll send an update ASAP.

But I can say already now, the wheight of all FBX files which are used in the scene is ony 200 MB. :frowning: Including the big ground.

Yes but there are different process between editor and final results, so it is worth to give it a try :grin:

Nope, I’ve removed all the ground and it is still 13,1 GB. Would super appreciate if somebody give a clue where to search for a solution.

Now I’ll remove totally everything except the basics - the light and a character spawner.

Yeah, this is my final scene. It is almost empty except the basics. And it’s weight is still 13,1 GB. Could somebody let me know what I am doing wrong?

Hi Naiuma,

For Migrating: My first thought is that the ‘Water’ and ‘Landmass’ plugins are not enabled in your new project. (They are disabled by default) - Although Control Rig plugin should be enabled by default, so I’m not sure what to make of that.

For Project size: Go to Project Settings and uncheck ‘Use Pak File’, then you’ll have a better idea of what’s taking up the space. You could then add directories to ‘Directories to never cook’ if you have content that you know should not get packaged.

Cheers.

If I make a blank project with a lanscape
like the open world template
and pkg it
I get a build size of about 300 megs.
I have projects with 20 gigs of assets in the project
but when I build just a single map from the proj that only has about 100 assets
I get less than 500 meg
That texture map could be in “plugins” or engine content.

IDK
only have the platforms you are building for selected, there is a setting to make sure engine content is copied, and you might want to enable the water/landmass plugins in the second proj before export.

seems strange tho.

Hello Astrotronic,

Thank you vey much for connecting to this discussion.
Could you kindly let me know what does unchecking of ‘Use Pak File’ give to me?
Have I see now somewhere Megabytes of each asset taken into .exe?
Have I see it in ‘Show Output Log’? If so, do you know where exactly there?

Thank you in advance.
Alex

Thank you for your reply christuusgnosis,

You said, when I build just a single map. Could it be that I am building a whole project?
If so, how to build only an opened, current map?

This is how I do it:

I click on ‘Platforms’ select ‘Windows’, chose ‘Shipping’ and click on ‘Package Project’. Probably the problem is here right? Do you know how to package only the map?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

So normally you’d see a very large .pak file in your packaged project. Unchecking that should put individual .uasset files into your packaged games /Content folder instead. Then you could look at the files / file sizes to see if there is anything unneeded/unexpected taking up space.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please take a look at the attached screenshot. For some reason it still saves everything into one single file.

No when you package the project, you oackage only the maps that are defined in Project Settings>Packaging. In a project only the Maps are built, nothing more.

Hello ElegantLooter

Thank you for you reply.
Unfortunately I don’t see any settings related to maps that are defined in Project Settings>Packaging.

Here is how my settings look:

It is right there! :grin:
“Additional build for this project”, as i can see there is anyone set: this means that only the default level will be built (it should be the one opens up by default when you launch the project). So i can say that no issues are there since only 1 level (a map to be clear) is being packaged😁

Ah, sorry about that, It looks like things have changed for UE5. Do you still get a .ucas file if you package with ‘Use Io Store’ disabled?

Hello Astrotronic, first of all I am sorry for the late reply. But I still have this issue. Unfortunately disabled 'Use Io Store’ hasn’t solved that problem and I still have everything in one .pak.
I’ll be very thankful if you give me an idea how to make it multi-packed.
Thanks.

Alex