Please help - Dedicated server with mod not booting up

Hi Community,

I’m having trouble trying to load my mod in my dedicated server. I tried everything that all the guides say on the web, but to no avail. I cooked the mod myself, I started up locally to let it create the folders. It worked like a charm (locally)! Then I copied the mod files from the local folder to the server folder and I adjusted my batch file (ofc located in the ShooterGameServer.exe location). :slight_smile:

Without the Mod, the dedicated server works fine and can be found in the Unofficial Server list.

The batch file I’m using right now is, “start ShooterGameServer.exe /Game/Mods/486774581/AdditionalSpawns?listen?ModId=486774581?AdditionalSpawns?SessionName=AdditionalSpawnsServer?ServerPassword=test1337?MaxPlayers=60 -nosteamclient -game -server -log”.

When this diddn’t work, I tried it via another method, by creating a shortcut of X:\Server\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe and made the following changes to the properties target: “X:\Server\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe /Game/Mods/486774581/AdditionalSpawns?listen?ModId=486774581”

Again, this also diddn’t work. For example: It keeps on saying “Full Startup 10.37 seconds (BP compile: 0.00 seconds)”…
I can’t find anymore information on how to fix it… Could you please help me out? :frowning:

With kind regards,

Hi ,

This may sound odd, but don’t let the “Full Startup 10.37 seconds (BP compile: 0.00)” fool you.
Give it a few minutes (same as when not using mods on a dedicated server) and it should pop-up in your Unofficial list.

Good luck! :wink:

Regards,

It might be an issue relating to the current devkit and 188 github files.

I’ve been unable to make even a simple mod work with dedi server… even then it works in the Unreal PIE viewport and locally via the Ark client.

Going to experiment more when I get home to confirm there is a cooking issue for dedi server mods.

Just a heads up Jason, I got like 6 people using my mod on their dedicated servers right now with no issues. If you would be comfortable with screen sharing with me over teamviewer or skype I’d like to take a look at things for myself to see if I can spot the problem. If so just shoot me a message with a time that works for you, and i’ll try to help resolve this for you.

@ try removing the quotes from the command line, and limiting their use to just like this only:

“ShooterGameServer.exe”

Also as Rex mentioned, just cause it says full startup 10.37 seconds doesn’t mean its not working. This is part of the normal process. Give it a bit and if its setup correctly it should show up right away.

• Sinari

Hi Sinari,

Thanks for the offer. Perhaps you can confirm that there is a dedi server mod issue by trying out the mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=481947269

Try running it single player and non-dedicated in your ark game client. That should work fine.
Then try running it on your dedicated server test bed. That won’t load.

If you can confirm this also… that will hopefully get the devs to take a closer look.

Hmmm. I don’t run a server anymore, but I could perhaps try it out. I’m 90% sure it will repo on my end though. I just actually experienced a crash on update of my mod cause of something not being setup correctly with my mod on someone elses server. Turns out it was me not having a single item enabled as an engram while having it mapped to be one. I have a feeling it’s probably something minor that is causing the crash, but I’m really just speculating here, and could be way off base.

Question: Are you trying to run this on an already existing server that has world save data with this mod in use? If so, I suggest testing on a freshly installed/wiped server. It could be something corrupted with the world save data even.

Yeah I’ve tried new game, old game, reinstalling devkit/github files.

The fact that it works single player and non-dedicated from the game client is the strange part.

I’m hosting 2 other instances of dedi servers on the same server… And these same dedi servers were running the mod.

But since 188 update l cant get any mod (even generic mod) to run on dedi even though they work fine single
on-dedi.

You could argue the dedi server is bugged… But it runs unmodded fine, files are validated etc.

Maybe my devkit is busted and missing something needed for dedi servers when cooking?

Such a weird issue… But after 8 hours of trying everything I’ve pretty much given up modding for now. Will see if it works again in the next devkit update.

This is really bizarre. REALLY. If these dedi’s in question can’t run any mod it sounds like an issue possibly with your host, but I could be wrong. Maybe there is something awry with the uploading new mods process all of a sudden? I can really only speculate and theorize at this point. Let me sleep on this one and see if I can come up with anything suitable as a possible attempted fix while I sleep or in the morning. I’ll check back then.

Sorry, wish I could be of more help on this right now, but I’m starting to run on fumes xD

• Sinari

In addition to removing the quotes, I am not sure why you threw in the parameter

?AdditionalSpawns

You only need to change the map and specify a mod id to load a mod. As far as I know people have had success following the install steps I made for my mod with this example image

I think AdditionalSpawns is the name of the .umap actually, could be wrong though.