Please give Motion Capture Requests

Nice man, thanks. I had no idea mocap was possible for such a low price :slight_smile:

Hey, I’ll bite. Where can I get my hands on your 100 gigs of free game animations?

Just by chance I noticed this, so it would have been advisable to contact me via my website HERE or PM on here :).

What exactly are you after, because obviously I’m not going to send a hundred gig in one go or upload it anywhere because I don’t want the whole lot added to torrent sites. Some animations are owned by Epic Games Inc, Rockstar games, Crytek, Ubisoft, Sony Entertainment and Take-Two Interactive. So they’re for learning and understanding how it all works effectively. Epic Games animation sets are included in UDK and are subject to UDK licensing, so they tend to be for education more than anything else. I can’t quote you on what the different licensing terms are for each company specified, but I can say with all honesty that they’re generally black and white in saying “not for redistribution” . I have tons of free, (Creative Commons) motion capture too, which is rough and raw, and needs editing and polishing. I also have extensive Autodesk motion capture sets that are from various professional studios, and are polished/ready to load onto a biped.

With all that said, I tend to send artists what they specifically want, ( ie: full game set moves or primary moves)
But there’s also a fundamental necessity on your side, that you actually know what you’re doing.
For example, if I send you a bip animation set with all the animations on a single timeline, do you know how to separate out each animation, (linking or baking it to your character) for export to Unreal Engine Four?
Or If I sent you an FBX set in separate files, do you know how to link those animations to your own skeleton, or wrap your rig to one provided? I ask this because on many occasions I send these animations to people and they have no idea what to do with them.

I have tutorials covering everything above and normally my viewers will contact me with a specific request after watching one :cool:

If you are a total newcomer to Unreal Engine, you’d be advised to watch as many tutorials on the animation workflow from 3ds Max, (rather than Maya) for an understanding of how this works. Jeremy Ernst’s videos only cover the workflow from Maya to Unreal Engine, where’ as my videos generally cover the 3ds Max work-path.I have some videos on the traditional approach to rigging for Unreal Engine in Maya, but 99% are for 3ds Max and UDK.

I thought about PMing you, but figured others might benefit from the knowledge.

I’m a total newcomer to UE. Though I have played several UE games :P. I was under the impression that Maya was the app of choice. Did you just mean for bip files?

No sweat about the files, I just figured you might have some torrents or an upload site somewhere. I don’t need animations I can’t use freely. As for using animations, I’d figure all that out for myself, assuming it’s standard data. I’ve been using Poser and Daz Studio for years so I’m not totally unfamiliar with the topic, and I usually manage to muddle through on my own.

You can use many of them freely, just not the AAA studio ones :slight_smile:
As an example, I have 25 gig of free stuff, that I don’t want a penny/cent for :D, but they’re 3ds Max specific “bip” and won’t work in Maya.You have to export them from 3ds Max to FBX to import into Maya, and then you can use them in that package.
If you want, I can save one set in Maya format which you can at least look at in Maya. Or I can export the set as FBX for viewing in anything that can import FBX. This set it owned by me and totally free :cool:, unless you become rich then I want half , Lol :smiley:
Only kidding

I assume this offer is for anyone who asks you for them in a PM, yeah? :stuck_out_tongue: If that’s the case I would love to get a chance to see what you’ve got, learn what I can from them and the likes. It’s good to know that there are people like you out here on the internet though, honestly.

Unless the terms of Unreal’s marketplace say otherwise anything you get from me will be open to use anywhere. (Unity Crytek homebrew) Only reason it won’t be free is to support the work being done so I don’t have to work at burger king or something lol. Also Pro camera systems are not cheap. Also my plan is to generate animation based off of community\project requests. There are countless variations that can be done of any particular action. If packs out there like what LexLuthor1 has don’t have what you need let me know. Otherwise glad to hear you can get everything you need to make your games. I’m just excited to try and bring my own piece to an excited engine and all of the future games that will come from it.

Yes, just send me your email address.
I received an email already from one user and I mentioned that I can send a set that is all on one timeline, with every conceivable move. They’re in “bip” format for 3ds Max biped and you can see the animset here in this video Game set :cool:
You just need to add them to your character and split them for FBX export .

I have other sets that are split already, so let me know :slight_smile:

Lex does bring up a point that there is a ton of free to be had motion capture files already available so any package worth buying would have to deal with the one thing that access to raw motion capture files files can not provide and in the area of time saving. The key selling point would have to be a turn key solution that would included all necessary blueprints and both first and third person player model control systems that is useable or can be retasked to any rigging design.

In other words buy the package, plug it into your game design and doing so saves you six months worth of time and money.

If looking for raw data start with CMU Graphics Lab. 2500+ motion capture files for free that has been converted over to a lot of different formats. Or Just Google BVH motion capture.

So yeah there is a ton out there so the product would have to included times saving as it’s main selling point.

I do plan to try and set that up. Some motions may be a bit specialized for that. For example a quick-time event (god of war style). But more basic mobility I would plan to stitch animations together with blue prints. I would expect that people might want to tweak things such as blend animation speed etc. after the fact but yeah I want to try and help people along. Also I took a look at CMU Graphics Lab terms

“This data is free for use in research projects.
You may include this data in commercially-sold products,
but you may not resell this data directly, even in converted form.
If you publish results obtained using this data, we would appreciate it
if you would send the citation to your published paper to jkh+mocap@cs.cmu.edu,
and also would add this text to your acknowledgments section:
The data used in this project was obtained from mocap.cs.cmu.edu.
The database was created with funding from NSF EIA-0196217.”

Most places are like that. If I want to add the blue prints and then sell it I still can’t because I am including the animation data. So I would not be allowed to use it. I’m just gonna keep it simple and create it from scratch. By all means for your products you can use it.

Bit of an update. I have been spending a lot of time just learning and tinkering so far. Because several people asked about it I decided to start playing with the arms provided with the FPS template. I think I have a good rig for controlling and adding mocap to them. I transferred some of Owen’s animations (Rock dude from the trailer). I am gonna make some from scratch as soon as i’m done testing things out then i’ll post some pics and videos. Also it looks easy to add head animation that can be optional for people to use. I just need to figure out how i want to add it. I need to get the camera from inside the engine out and match its exact placement and FOV etc.

Right now I could really use an animation that has a zombie, climbinb out of the ground. Something that maybe includes a sort of digging motion to show it working its way to the surface. then climbing to a ground level standing position.