Player Start / Spawn not working

Hello everyone,

I’m quite new to UE4 and I’ve been working on a personal project the last weeks. Today I wanted to add a first person player movement (originally I started with an empty level). I found this nice tutorial on youtube: Unreal Engine 4 - Beginners Guide to Player Input (1/2) - YouTube

However, none of this is working. I made sure to override the game mode in the world settings. But that didn’t help, so I changed everything back as it was (before I used the tutorial). But since this didn’t change anything either I guess the problem is that the “player start” is not working anymore.

Whenever I click the play button, I don’t spawn at all. The camera remains where it was in the editor and I can fly and move around with the controls you use to navigate in the editor. I can even select objects and see their gizmos … in play mode! Really strange. I normally used to spawn at the location of the “Player start” …
That problem occurs only with this one project (in all levels).

Editor:

Upon clicking “Play”:

I have no idea how to fix this. Please help. :frowning:
I don’t want to rebuild the whole project since I put so much work into one level (not shown in the screenshots).

I also searched this answerhub, but coudln’t find anything that would help/work in my situation. :confused:
I’d be really glad for any tips, ideas! Thanks! :slight_smile:

A few things you might want to try,

1. I noticed that your play setting is ‘simulate’ that setting lets you spectate the game while your ai moves, items spin, etc… there should be a arrow next to the play button, click it, and click either “Standalone game” or “play in viewport” (something like that I believe)

2. if your player is touching the floor, or another object, it may be too close to spawn, try to move it in the air a bit.

Try those first, then get back to me…

1 Like

Wow. Ok 1 suggestion immediately solved the problem. XD Thank you so much. :smiley:

Now I added the player character and first person game mode blueprints from the tutorial and I spawn outside the skysphere. Any idea why that happens? How do I connect my character with the “Player start”?

try to delete the current play start, then just add a new one in a different location. if not close the engine and open it back up…sometimes it may glitch and lag.

Side Note: Honestly, if your having trouble with one of the tutorials, its maybe best to find out someone else on youtube or whatever, the person you may not be explaining it just for you. The Person I often watch (Im fairly new too,) is Virus
Virtus Learning Hub - YouTube , while he does talk kinda fast at times, you can just pause and replay the video. I personally am following a tutorial from him now.

and dont be afraid to start a new project…I have had over 3 games i worked on, ad my progress and speed has increase vastly. Sure i did spend some time on them, and it was sad to see them go, but now im building better and bigger stuff…

It worked for me. I already know this channel, it’s really good. Thanks for your help and good luck with your projects too! :slight_smile:

if its no trouble, please mark the check mark next to my answer, that will not only allow anyone else who may have the same issue as you be able to see my response right away, while giving me a lil good karma! :smiley:

Also, check your “Kill Z” value in the World Settings window. I had set mine to a positive value instead of a negative one on accident (400cm instead of -400cm), and all my players were dying on spawn.

1 Like

The amount of things i tried before finding this answer is embarrasing :slight_smile:
Thanks a bunch!

You saved my ■■■ like 5 years later smh Thanks!